Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 17, 2017, 08:06 AM
    Mistrial in Bill Cosby Trial
    The Bill Cosby trial has ended in a mistrial after the jury could not agree on a verdict and the prosecutor says he will retry the case. Cosby said some incriminating things in his deposition but he never admitted to giving women pills without their knowledge and there was no forensic evidence proving his guilt. Some of his accusers like Chloe Goins and Janice Dickinson are known liars. Cosby may have been sleazy but there was enough reasonable doubt for a hung jury.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2017, 08:59 AM
    I think the accusers were money hungry liars looking for a payday... otherwise they would have done this decades ago. Last perfect person was strung up on a cross over 2,000 years, everyone else has their flaws... some more than others.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2017, 01:20 PM
    I think the jurors were tired because they couldn't get a good night sleep being sequestered . Maybe they should've asked Cosby for a pill to help them sleep ?

Let's not accuse the victims . There were multiple accusers you know .

I don't agree with much of what Gloria Allred says . But when she said"We can never overestimate the blinding power of celebrity".She hit the nail on the head .

1. I think the accusers were money hungry liars looking for a payday... otherwise they would have done this decades ago.
    Let's assume that they were drugged by Cosby .How would that affect their ability to recall ? Would Cosby's defense use that fact against them ? I believe so. Date rape is hard enough to prove without the accused being a mega celebrity icon. No Cosby was not the worshiped saint in the 1960s that he became later on in his career .Back then he was a comic who did skits like this :

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAorIG6MZnc

and later on interviews like this on Larry King:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZwL4c2JYA

and here is another example of Cosby's innocence .
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-fs0xPO7U
      and here is a character witness ;one of Cosby's co workers on the Cosby show :
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izOrg_6UBzs
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2017, 01:34 PM
    I see it as mob mentality... one decides they need money, then others say well he's old, and I want some of his money too. Think back to all the "accusations" made against Republican Primary candidates that vanished into thin air after they drop out.

If they had done this 5, maybe even as much as 10 years later.. I might be inclined to believe their accusations 30-40 years after the fact? No way... they see a wealthy old man they had some connection with and they want some of his money. There should be a statute of limitations on this sort of thing. Its almost impossible to defend yourself that long after the fact.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 17, 2017, 02:12 PM
    2 very different points pertaining to this.

1. In the 70s when all this took place, the drug culture was at its peak. The street name for Quaalude (what he admits giving) was "disco biscuits." Lots of women took them to party with. Is there a statute of limitations on providing drugs? If not, charge him.

2. These accusations were dead and buried, most cases settled, until Dr. Cosby started criticizing thug culture and promoting values like education and productivity.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2017, 05:42 PM
    Why should we be concerned for this sleezebag? Suddenly he has become a victim?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 18, 2017, 01:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Why should we be concerned for this sleezebag? Suddenly he has become a victim?
    My concern is the perversion of our justice system for a political agenda. Slick Willie was celebrated for using booze and authority to get laid while Cosby was persecuted for using sedatives and celebrity.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2017, 03:26 AM

1. I see it as mob mentality... one decides they need money, then others say well he's old, and I want some of his money too.
    That would be an accusation the defense would need to prove .This was a trial involving one of his victims . Since date rape is usually 'he said she said' ,the jury should be presented with as much inculpatory evidence as possible . Pattern of behavior would be one of those. So his joking about Spanish Fly ,or writing in his book 'Childhood' that he sprinkled the drug to give to 13 year old girls at parties is relevant evidence.

In a deposition from the 2005 civil case, Cosby admitted on the record to obtaining drugs with the intent of giving them to women he wanted to have sex with. Dozens of women have come out and made the claim that he drugged them to have sex .Were all of them looking for profit ? Are they all lying ? The judge only allowed one to testify . Why ?

“Prior bad acts” evidence is allowed in PA. if they serve to show “motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity, absence of mistake, or lack of accident.” (rule 404). BTW the case that went to trial was not 30 or 40 years ago .Cosby assaulted the victim 12 years ago and she made the charge against him within any statute of limitations .The victim initially had to settle for a civil suit (where in deposition Cosby all but admitted guilt ) .The reason this went to trial is because there was a new prosecutor in the county .

There are 2 perversions of our justice system that has to change .The first is that celebrities are granted special treatment .The second is that sexual predators so often get away with their crime.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2017, 05:01 AM
    True... and theoretically that's how its supposed to be... but reality (at this point in time) is the victim is given the benefit of the doubt while the accused is assumed guilty. And sometimes those accusations are false... look back at a number of fairly recent cases Like the Duke Lacrosse thing and a few others.. innocent guys dragged through the mud, college educations ended, and in the end.. the Accuser turns out to have flat out lied about it.

Not to belittle the legitimate cases out there...but this happens enough and without sufficient penalty that it muddies all the rest of the cases.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2017, 06:07 AM

1. And sometimes those accusations are false... look back at a number of fairly recent cases Like the Duke Lacrosse thing and a few others.. innocent guys dragged through the mud, college educations ended, and in the end.. the Accuser turns out to have flat out lied about it.
    Of course each case has to be handled separately . I'm with you on the Duke Lacrosse case . The evidence proved the accuser a liar and justice was served . The evidence was overwhelming in the Penn State Case also . Had it been only one victim ,would we ever had found out how much of an enabling scoundrel Joe Paterno really was ? His public persona was also "saintly " .

'He said she said ' cases are more difficult for the accuser to prove. and I don't agree that in most cases the accused is presumed guilty .I did not believe that Cosby could possibly be guilty until one victim after another came forward .(This is Similar to what happened to predatory priests . The system gave them cover until the evidence was overwhelming ).
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2017, 12:27 PM
    When Cosby's own recorded words (except for a brief sentence or two that were allowed at the trial) that incriminate him are not admitted in a courtroom, when 50 or 60 women from all over and unknown to each other tell essentially the same story of Cosby sexually assaulting them, when Cosby admits that he used drugs for the purpose of sex with women, and so on and so forth, and the creep still walks free, then something is wrong with the justice system.

Yes, I understand rules of evidence and slippery slopes and all that, but surely those 50 women should have been allowed to testify. The legal theory of past behavior being inadmissable needs to be reviewed and modified to allow such testimony when it has major probative value as it does in this situation.

Cosby is a comedic genius and a major talent but neither quality puts him above the law.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2017, 01:38 PM
    His deposition was read to the jurors . The hung juror(s) is a moron. After he admits to drugging her to relieve her stress he says :

“I don't hear her say anything. And I don't feel her say anything. And so I continue and I go into the area that is somewhere between permission and rejection. I am not stopped.”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who else watched Bill Cosby's Picture Pages [ 2 Answers ]

What was the name of the pen that not only made music when Mr. Cosby wrote with it but also came to life?

How do I contact Bill Cosby [ 2 Answers ]

How do I contact Bill Cosby?

How do I contact BILL COSBY? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a teacher in Philadelphia, PA -his home town and I am a TEMPLE alumni. How can I get a letter to him about education?

Bill cosby [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I would like to get in touch with Mr. (Dr. ) Bill Cosby, but have not been successful in searching for his email or snailmail address. Please don't refer me to websites that ask for a fee to give you a celebrity's address. I can't afford it (I live in the Philippines where a dollar is...

Bill Cosby [ 1 Answers ]

How can I contact Bill Cosby?

View more questions Search