Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allisbroken Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2017, 08:25 PM
    I have an LG led TV model 47LN5400. The screen went black but there is still audio.
    The backlights flash for a moment when the TV is first turned on and then go off. We shined a flashlight on the dark screen and were able to see the TV menu in the light. We determined it was the LED drive that needed to be replaced. However, there is no independent drive board for our model- it is part of the main power supply board. We replaced the power supply board (however the seller sent us the 2.3 model instead of the 2.2 so were not sure if this makes a difference) and it didn't work. We are considering purchasing LED strips but some sites we have visited indicate that on our model, you can't just replace the LED strips, you have to replace the LED array which is integrated into the panel. If that is the case, it would not be feasible to fix the problem. Any ideas?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 17, 2017, 05:18 AM
    How long have you had it? Is the warranty expired? How much have you spent so far, and how much are the parts you must further buy? This is a common model sold at most of the big box outlets. Not worth spending big bucks for parts and labor(?), if the replacement costs are about $600 bucks new, $400 refurbished (Which would be what you have after you fix yours).

I think you have already reached the conclusion that a NEW (Or another) TV is in order with the costs of shipping, and handling being what they are and the time involved.

Who is diagnosing your problems with this TV? Hope it's not some online rep of the company. The warranty issue is crucial to your final decision. What's the status with that?

Jun 17, 2017, 06:52 AM
    The warranty is expired. We've had the TV for 3 years and bought it brand new. Frustrating that a TV that's only 3 years old is not working. All of the online forums are saying that this is a common problem with this model- shame because LG is touted as one of the best brands. We have found a lot of parts for $30 or less and willing to do the work. Just having trouble diagnosing the problem. Hoping a TV repair expert will see our question and give us some help.
    Expert

Jun 17, 2017, 07:07 AM
    I see. May be worth a few bucks, around $25 to $50 to find a good TV repair shop around your area, and get an informed opinion. Hard to diagnose without eyes and hands on. Or basic knowledge and tools besides a manual.

Google YOUTUBE and see what videos they have to offer about your TV issues, just for your own knowledge. I highly recommend doing the research BEFORE you seek out a private shop handy person.

That's what I did here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUzCLgoSPGM

Jun 17, 2017, 06:36 PM
    Thanks for trying to help! We did watch the same Youtube video from ShopJimmy and that got us to replacing the power supply board. That didn't work but some sites then say it has to be the LED strips that need replacement. Other sites say that the LED strips on our TV are a part of the TV that cannot be replaced without considerable expert knowledge if we could even find the part. Before we buy the LED strips, we want to know if they are worth it or not. We can't afford a new TV right now and LG will not stand behind their product (they simply said "too bad- we can send out a repair person who will fix it for $245"). Unless someone can tell us if LED strips are a possibility, it looks like we will be down to one TV for awhile.
    Expert

Jun 17, 2017, 09:33 PM
    What would happen if THEIR $245 fix didn't work?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2017, 05:13 AM
    Listen... I'm a degreed Electronic Engineer, actually learned how to repair ANYTHING electronic... I won't even try to fix my own TV and I have most of the electronic equipment to do it. Because #1. New TV has a lot more functions than one just a few years old, #2 If you are wrong on diagnosis you wasted money and it still doesn't work... meaning you spend even more and are closer to the cost of a new TV and you STILL have an old TV.

Yeah, sucks but that's the reality. Time is money... you need Schematics... (consider it a TV roadmap) before you even pay to fix what's broke. Around here over 10 years ago they wanted $75 JUST for the initial diagnosis (God knows what that is now)... up front which they would apply towards repair if you decided to go for it.

But its your money, and your decision.
    Expert

Jun 19, 2017, 05:41 AM
    If the seller sends a tech out to fix your TV for $245, assuming that's a fixed price, no matter what the fix is, then that may not be a bad deal. The devil is in the details and the first question I would have asked the seller is what if their fix didn't work?

we can send out a repair person who will fix it for $245").
    Is that not better than buying a new TV or a refurbished one? Considering you have NO warranty, nor bought an extended one after the original expired, that may well be a viable option. Big box sellers like Walmart, and Best buy take in TV's they have sold, and refurbish them, and resell them all the time, for big bucks and offer extended warranties for a price.

Some questions directed at the seller could yield FACTS to help you make a decision to mitigate your losses. Until someone trained can put eyes and hands on your TV, then no way to know what will work. Regardless of the solution, NOBODY gets paid unless the TV is made to work.

Make sense?

Jun 19, 2017, 01:43 PM
    Thanks to both of you for your time and answers. These are all things that we have considered. With car problems, air conditioner going out, and now the TV we are just going to be a one TV family for awhile (not a big deal since they call it the "boob tube" for a reason and it's summer!). My husband got fed up with the LG customer service person and the attitude and so hung up and then realized that he should've asked what would happen if the $245 repair couldn't fix it. We only considered repairing the TV because our neighbors had an LED TV with a similar problem and they were able to repair it by replacing a board. Obviously, they are lucky and we are not.
    That being said, if there is anyone out there who knows the answer to this question, please respond: Can you replace the LED strips on an LG LED TV model 47LN5400 or are they so integrated into the TV that it would be prohibitively expensive?
    Expert

Jun 19, 2017, 03:11 PM
    If you have the tools, knowledge and skills and time you can replace darn near anything. These are the trips along with prices.

lg 47ln5400 led strips | eBay

You seem to have a bunch of other expensive priorities right now and I know how that goes. This is how it's done. YouTube/replace the LED strips on an LG LED TV model 47LN5400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FboV-1PJg

A voltmeter is a handy tool to check BEFORE you replace. I doubt the guy will just change the strips without first checking what supplies it.

Guys that know what they are doing make it look so easy don't they?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2017, 03:22 PM
    Unless you work on a particular model TV repeatedly... its not as easy as it seems. Assuming the guy isn't a module swapper (but I bet they are, because they know what the module costs, not how long and how much to fix the module so they can assure they make money on their estimate)... that part is easy. Its finding what's wrong with the module and fixing that, which is a lot more difficult. You can sort of equate it to drivng the first time in a high density city... sure you can find your address with a map... but its going to take a lot longer the first time you are in that city.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C with split screen [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,I have an eight month old Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C My sound is great. My picture is distorted. Seems it has a divided screen. With little movement of the actual picture. Colors are way off. And none of the controls work except for channel up and down work, but very...

Black screen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My TV seems to have a problem. When I switch it on, the screen goes black with a thin white line going from left to right across the middle of it. The Brand name is: Orion . Can someone please tell me, does this mean the tube is dead.

Black Screen [ 1 Answers ]

When I book my computer half the screen goes black for a few minutes. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Have a magnavox TV model# fs2750 black screen keeps showing up while TV is playing [ 1 Answers ]

Manavox color TV model# fs2750 black screen shows up while TV is playing you can see some of the picture but not all of it TV shows full picture for about 10 seconds then black screen blocks out most of the picture unplugged TV thought it would reset itself but that didn`t help need help only TV I...

Black Screen 5-10 min [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Tosihiba P105, I can turn it on and it well run fine for 5-15 min during this time frame the screen well go black. The computer still runs because I can hear the music going. The power button, mouse pad, keyboard all are unresposive. The only way to resolve is unhook all power. I...

View more questions Search