Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkerich Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2017, 08:08 AM
    Shower faucet handle squeals during the night or morning
    My shower faucet has started to squeal during the night in the last 2 months. This morning it started again and I went into the bathroom and turned on the shower faucet and it stop immediately. I then turned on the sink faucet and it too started to squeal for a few seconds and stopped. I know the sink faucet leak some times when I run it, but I didn’t see any water leaking in either the bathtub or sink when it was squealing. Sometimes it squeals for up to a minute and stops. Is this related to the cartridge or washer rings or is it something else? I have a booster pump in the basement so the water pressure should be constant. I don't want to replace stuff if its not going to fix the problem.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 18, 2017, 12:53 PM
    Try to lower pressure by few pounds. See if that helps.

Milo

Jun 19, 2017, 05:46 AM
    OK, I will contact the people that installed the pump and see what they have to say about it. Also, the 1 minute squeal (without the water running) only happens (as far a I know) in the morning around 6:30 and its not regular (maybe once every 9 days). The faucets (if they squeal) only happens after the "long without the water running" squeal happens.

Jun 21, 2017, 08:52 AM
    The people that installed the booster pump can over and after testings the faucets in the bathroom it became clear that both the shower and sink faucets need new cartridges. I will take them out and go over to home depot or Lowe's and get replacements. So I was the faucets after all.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 21, 2017, 09:00 AM
    Thank you for your update. Glad you were able to identify cause of the squeal

Milo
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2017, 03:59 PM
    Hello Jkerich,

Please tell us the brand and the model numbers of your faucets most faucets has lifetime warranty just you need to call the manufacturer they will send new cartridges for free, Thanks.

John

Sep 28, 2017, 01:08 PM
    My faucets are all the mono type and were installed in 1982. I replaced the cartridges and the shower fixtures (the rubber seal failed so fixtures were full of mold) and then found the squeal was still happening! It turns out in the end that it was the towel flush valve. The plastic was warped at the top and when you turn on the water the pressure change caused air to squeal in or out of the flush valve. I replaced it and the squeal stopped. I still think replacing the cartridges and the shower fixtures was a good idea, they were all in terrible shape.

The only other problem was the first 3 towel flush valves I bought were all bad. Water would slowly fill the towel because the valve did not completely shut off and with in 3 or 4 hours the water was going down the overflow pipe. They were all the cheap $8 FlushMaster versions that I bought at Home Depot . I finally had to buy a deluxe version for $12 before the value worked correctly. I called FlushMaster and they and Home Depot didn't care at all. They really need to do something about quality control.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 28, 2017, 03:50 PM
    Thanks for the update, and glad you found and fixed your issue. Well done. Incidentally Home Depot has the best return policy in the industry. Just keep your receipts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower faucet handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Glacier Bay shower set (#766 585). It has been in my shower for only a short time but I am starting to upgrade the look as I can afford it. Is there anyway I can purchase new Shower Faucet Handles to replace the old handles without purchasing a whole new shower set? I am interested in...

How to remove handle on single handle moen shower faucet [ 5 Answers ]

I have a single handle shower faucet. Took out the end screw and the small screw under the handle that tightens it to the unit. The handle will not slide off. Is there a step I am missing? How do I get the handle off??

Tub/shower two handle faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a new two handle faucet and new diverter. When you turn on water it comes out of faucet and shower. When you pull the diverter knob up, shower works perfect. When you release diverter, water continues to run out of shower and runs out of faucet at the same time.

Glacier bay three handle shower faucet [ 0 Answers ]

No cold water on glacierbay faucet but the hot is working. Hot and cold water mixter three handle faucet. One handle is on and off ,one tub or shower and one mixing the hot and cold water. I do not have the model number.

3 handle shower faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Where can I find a 3 handle nickel finish shower and tub replacements

View more questions Search