Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asia1114 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Should my son get his own insurance.why?
    My 20 year old son is on my auto insurance policy,and drives one of my cars.If he were to have an accident ,and the damages were to exceed the policy limitations, who would be sued for the balance?My son or me? I ask because I have a lot more to lose as I am a homeowner,my son is not. Oh... we live in suffolk county N.Y.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 02:14 PM
    I don't know about N.Y. but where I am at the insurance has to be in the name of the vehicle owner/registrant and should cover all drivers. So, if his name is on the registration, yes.
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Well considering your son is 20 I would think that he his old enough to have his own insurance policy that way if something happens it is his own responsibility and his own mess.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
    They can sue the driver and the owner of the car. If there is more damagees than insurance will cover. ( you should have a min of 300,000 and consider a 1 million liability now adays)

At 20 should he not be having his own car and paying his own insurance?
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Apr 16, 2007, 10:53 PM
    It depends on your state, here in California the insurance follows the vehicle and therefore the owner of the vehicle. If the damages for property for for injuries were to exceed the policy limits it could be a Uninsured motorist claim and fallback on the other insurance company to assist their own insured, or it could fall on the insurance of the driver as secondary.

I would think at his age if he chooses to drive he should be responsible enough to pay for his own insurance and if you are worried about your house, etc. it would proabably be good to have a separate policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Auto Insurance for Teenage Son [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Trying to find the best way to insure my teenage son for auto insurance. He is 17 yrs old and I have been told that it is cheaper to add him to my policy, but the risk could be greater to me. I have been told that it may be better to simply let him get his own policy, although higher...

Insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm Angela and I've recently started the process of getting my home-based business going. What I need to know is this... do I need insurance in my new business to protect me from lawsuits? I do "mobile-face-painting" parties for children.

How does an Insurance Co. Look at this... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two family with one four bedroom apartment rented as a group home. In that there are three single men who each pay a monthly fee individually. One tenant, who recently moved in, was very badly injured in a fall over a year ago . As a result he has had two spinal fusion operations . He...

View more questions Search