Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phoenix333 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 01:58 PM
    The difference between Teeth/Fangs and Claws
    I have been researching Teeth and claws a bit...
    And have come to find that both can be envenomed.
    Some claws (centipedes and spiders) are right at the mouth area.

So my question 1:
    What is the difference? Is it merely a matter of location: Fangs are Inside the mouth of the animal and claws are anything outside that region.. .

And even if that is the case, if someone found a fang like/claw like piece of an animal.
    How do they distinguish between the two?

Question 2:
    Is there a branch of zoology that focuses on the study of Fangs/claws (especially envenomed verity)? I would like to follow up on this research.
    u08dc4 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

May 25, 2007, 07:21 AM
    They are made of completely different materials, you might have some trouble with your research as the animals your looking up with "claws" are invertebrates where as the "fangs" are vertebrates. Their evolutionary history is different, they aren't built the same. The fangs which contain venom are more recently developed and are much more advanced. Its not so much to do with where their placed but what the physiology of the animal is. Hmmm not even sure I understand what I just typed sorry! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What has 10 legs and 4 fangs? [ 10 Answers ]

I have found two spiders (for lack of a better name), in my house that have what appears to be 10 legs and a 4 fanged mouth. I've never seen anything like this before. The site is El Paso TX. There are no webs. The insect did not move fast, or present with any distinguishing abilities. Just...

Condition Resulting In Having Fangs [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on a project being presented in a big symposium next week. I've gotten 70% done by myself, but I've hit the limit, which is why I'm here. Any help you can give Will be appreciated and mentioned. Dionne Warwick, the singer famous for "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?" has...

Santa Claws? [ 7 Answers ]

So Disney say that "Santa",is one of their characters.Sounds more like them playing Scrooge if you ask me.Merry xmas. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6189521.stm

View more questions Search