Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rose0805 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2017, 03:40 PM
    Is it a violation of HIPAA to report animal abuse?
    I work for a mental health facility. It's a suicide and homicide call center. I received a call about a child throwing a dog around and letting it slam on its head and the child sexually abusing the dog and family hamster by shoving a pencil in its genitals. I made a report to animal control and protective services because I felt it was really cruel and horrible. I didn't provide any mental health information, but did provide address and names and relevant information. Today a coworker of mine had a similar situation, but didn't want to call animal control because she "doesn't care for animals". We started talking about it and she asked our supervisor if it was necessary by law (like child abuse and/or adult abuse). My supervisor said to wait so she could make sure it wasn't a hipaa violation. I never thought it would be a violation. I had mentioned I had done it before, so if it turns out it is a hipaa violation I wonder if I'll get in trouble? When I made the report it was 2 months ago.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 13, 2017, 06:52 PM
    You did "provide names and relevant" information. Depending on your role in this person's treatment, it could most definitely be a HIPAA violation. You could stand to lose your job and be subjected to fines.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 14, 2017, 06:40 PM
    I could use some additional information. Is that child or family receiving care from you facility?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Animal abuse (dog) [ 21 Answers ]

I am very friendly with my neighbors (weddings, showers, etc) but the fifteen year old son got a dog. The parents forbid it in the house so they keep this pit bull Puppy on a three foot leash on the desk. It's pouring out now and the dog is Actually howling. He walks the dog every once in a...

Is this a HIPAA violation? - disrespect and abuse [ 2 Answers ]

I drove hospital today worried about damaged intestinal lining from uncontrollable puking of green, black material. I withheld my information to the doctor and nurse, including the part about my substance abuse (using illegal drugs) The night before. While I was waiting for my diagnosis behind...

Animal Abuse [ 3 Answers ]

What recourse is available when a dog is constantly left outside all day in sub-zero temperatures? I does not appear to have any means for shelter. Several concerned neighbours have lodged complaints, however, it appears that nothing specific has been done to assist this animal who is obviously...

Is this a HIPAA Violation and if so should I report it? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Facebook page and one of my "friends" on the page is a midwife and every time she delivers a baby she puts the baby's full name and it's birth statistics on her Facebook page. Isn't this a HIPAA violation? Thank you, Lisa

View more questions Search