Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fosterclose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2017, 11:36 AM
    Cistern Syphon Capacity
    Hi
    The syphon failed on our close coupled toilet and cistern a few months ago. I thought it a pretty straightforward issue to fix so changed the syphon. I did notice though after the change that the water was only getting to half way around the bowl on each side and not fully to the front. My wife has finally had enough of the problem and I am getting nagged to fix it. Is it possible that I have picked up a syphon that is too small and is therefore not pushing out enough water. There is nothing wrong with the cistern filling and the levels are fine. I expect this is a dumb qestion but I didn't think that there wudl be different capacities if it is the case

Thanks in advance
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2017, 12:14 PM
    While the terminology is different than American English, I think you might have clogged holes under the lip of the toilet, common particularly where one has very hard water (water with a high mineral content)
    fosterclose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2017, 01:14 PM
    Hi Thanks for the reply

I checked for holes under the rim but there are none, it's a hollow channel, so the water flows in from the back and there are no obstructions to it getting all the way around, that is why I wondered if it was a pressure issue. On our other two toilets we do have the holes that you describe but this one definatey doesn't.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 13, 2017, 03:47 PM
    Not all syphons are created equal according to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spm8lzHLPO0. So at this point verify you have the right pump. I don't know a lot about syphons, but I reviewed several of these videos starting with the one I linked because never heard of a toilet without jets in the bowl. Are you in the UK?

Have you tried holding the handle down a bit longer? Try that first before you hunt down if indeed you have the right syphon with the correct pumping capacity.

Please keep us updated.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 14, 2017, 03:42 PM
    @Fosterclose: check water level inside the tank. Level should be about 1/4" below the overflow tube. If too low, adjust fill valve to allow for more water into the tank. Also, make sure when you flush, flopper doesn't close too quickly. If it does, adjust it. It seems to me like you are not getting enough water to the bowl during flush

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to attain a cistern syphon watertight seal [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of replacing a syphon in a toilet cistern. I have removed the cistern and syphon without a problem. However upon cleaning the cistern around the syphon outlet hole I have noticed a lump of porcelain on the upper side of the hole at the edge. This is porcelain and not lime...

Aproduction capacity of 200000units, normal utilization capacity is reckoned as 90%, [ 0 Answers ]

Manufacturing costs standard variable costs are $11 per unit.The fixed costs are $360000 per annum. selling costs variable selling cost per unit is $3.The fixed selling costs are $270000 per annum.The unit selling price is $20.just as the year ended 30th June 2004,the production was 160000 units...

How do I change the flush syphon in a close coupled cistern [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever the buttons on top of the cistern are pressed, the cistern makes a noise like a dog barking. Also, every now and again, water continues to syphon after flushing. Never having changed a flush in a close coupled toilet, I was wondering if it is a job best left for the professionals.

Capacity of a kenmore elite heavy duty king size capacity washing machine? [ 0 Answers ]

Trying to determine the capcity size on our washing machine

View more questions Search