Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SWojcikTX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2017, 09:41 AM
    Pest Bathroom Help
    I have roaches coming up through the drain in my son's bathroom. Nowhere else in the house is this occurring. I am going to pour some product I found at home depot down the drain to help kill them. But am unsure if they are living in the drain or coming somehow from outside given that this is the only plumbing that this is happening in and the plumbing is connected to the HVAC overflow pvc which may lead outside instead of to the sewer connections. My question is this: Is there a tub drain that has steel wire mesh instead of the rather large holes? If not, can I permanently install a wire mesh basket in the drain? I don't want it becoming dislodged or my son to pick it up and move it. Any other options would be greatly appreciated.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 12, 2017, 10:09 AM
    Walmart and Home Depot have many, and some fit very snugly and come without a lip. You just have to know your drain size.

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 12, 2017, 10:40 AM
    Tub drain should have p-trap installed. P-trap holds water, therefore creates air-tight barrier that prevents odor and bugs from crawling inside tub. You may have either missing trap or cracked trap, which won't hold water and therefore allowing bugs to crawl in. Check if you have trap installed

Also, how often is that tub used ? If not too often then tub trap may dry out between uses, allowing bugs to crawl in

Where is the point of connection for the HVAC condensation line ? Cannot picture how they connected this PVC pipe into tub drain. That pipe has to be connected to the drain before the trap

They sell wire mesh baskets for catching body hair, but they significantly slow down drainage

Hope that helps

Milo
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2017, 05:55 PM
    Sounds like you don't have a trap and or dumping into your yard. Is this your house or a rental? Where you live may allow gray water discharged to the outside but it still needs a trap for the very reason you asked about.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 13, 2017, 02:19 AM
    Roaches can fool you. Is it possible that they are living underneath the tub and are showing up in it after coming out through a crack? If you have seen them coming out of the drain then a p trap issue is almost definite, but check the caulking around the tub just to be on the safe side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pest [ 1 Answers ]

I have seen several Flies recent in my house, not sure where they are coming from , I heard something in my daughter wall last month? not sure if it something in the wall that has died or if it's something in the attic , to scared to go up there to check ,what should I do (HELP) .

How to get rid of a pest [ 5 Answers ]

Some animal is making sounds behind my kitchen cabinets or in my kitchen walls. I think it is a rat. This has happened before and the rat has gotten into my house. How can I eliminate this creature?

Pest control [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get rid of ground wasps?

How to get rid of PEST! Its everywhere! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! So I have there's little bugs all over my house! I've been reading online and there called silverfish and pill bugs and sow bugs and rolie pollies so I don't know I call em' EWWW! Now I don't care if there doing damage or not these things are gross and I was raised to fear them so I'm kind...

View more questions Search