Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Jun 11, 2017, 11:23 AM
    Can I get a painting published in a magazine, without permission?
    I am a writer and an art critic. I have written some articles on various paintings, like Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci and Gara Diva by Vinci and Three Girls by Amrita Sher-gil and many other paintings. Now, when I send these articles to magazines for publication, they want me to send the painting too. Now, is not there any legal restriction to copy the painting from net (as available in public domain and easily traceable), and send it to some magazine to get it published with the article, written on the same painting? And, is there any need to get any permission from someone, for painting and for writing on the painting?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 12, 2017, 04:56 AM
    Probably not. If there was then it would be on the publisher.
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Jun 15, 2017, 02:54 AM
    You must consult and get approval from the painter, if he is alive. If he is dead, then the heir, who owns the IPRs in that case, may be taken approval from. However, the painter would feel happy if you write on and analyse his/her work, and will make him famous only. However, all fingers are not alike, albeit.

Jun 17, 2017, 10:59 AM
    It is difficult to find the address and contact of the painter. So, taking approval from such a painter is an uphill task. I suppose, he would not mind it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 17, 2017, 02:14 PM
    Most publisher use stock photos, or photo reprints anyway, so why worry that much? If it's from the net or even a picture YOU took, same thing. Since the publisher ASKED for the pictures then it must not be a big deal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2017, 08:19 AM
    There is a fair use doctrine. Use of an image in a magazine as part of a review of that image should be allowable. Also the onus oif this would be on the magazine publisher. They are the ones who would need to get the permission.

Jun 18, 2017, 09:59 AM
    There is a fair use doctrine. Use of an image in a magazine as part of a review of that image should be allowable. Also the onus oif this would be on the magazine publisher. They are the ones who would need to get the permission.
    Thanks for reply, ScottGem ji,

I do not know exactly how to quote you, so this is the way I follow.

My question is: But the publishers want me to send the painting via email. Will still it be their onus to get permission?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2017, 03:25 PM
    Yes, because you are not publishing. Copyright protection prevents someone from publishing copyrighted works. By e-mailing you are not publishing.

As such, the Copyright Act gives the copyright owner certain exclusive rights, including the right to:
    • Reproduce the work
    • Prepare "derivative works" (other works based on the original work)
    • Distribute copies of the work by sale, lease, or other transfer of ownership
    • Perform the work publicly
    • Display the work publicly

An e-mail would not be considered a reproduction of the work. Clearly the other rights are not being violated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to get published [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently read your post on how to get published, but I couldn't post a comment on it so, I decided to post a question: What publisher did you go to see for your work? If more than one, what are their names or business companies?

Getting published [ 1 Answers ]

If you want to get something published in print, do NOT post any of it online -- here or on a blog or on a Web site of any type. Publishers count that as being published. E-mailing your work to a friend for, say, proofreading and editing help, is okay. Make sure your writings ("pieces") are...

How to get published [ 4 Answers ]

I have seen a lot of people on here asking how to get published. Here is a list of tips for everyone asking these questions. I hope it helps! #1-DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO PUBLISH YOUR WORK! Anyone who claims to be an agent or a publisher and charges you fees is usually full of crap. Vanity publishers...

How to get published [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently writing a book, and I am interested in submitting it to a publisher to be reviewed to see if it is worthy of being published. What are the usual steps in trying to have the best chance. I just have the amateur edited edition... what are the steps? Should I get it professionally...

View more questions Search