Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxsc Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2017, 11:21 AM
    Can an earth-like planet be moon to a much bigger planet?
    So can an Earth-like planet be the moon to a Jupiter for example? Or something of that size.

And just to be clear, the Earth-like planet comes with a lush world and EVERYTHING on earth included.
    including human life.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 13, 2017, 01:55 PM
    Yes, it's possible. In fact some of the best candidates for life in the solar system outside of Earth include the moons of Jupiter and Titan of Saturn. These aren't lush worlds by any stretch - any life would have to exist in oceans heated by geothermal mechanisms miles below a thick crust if ice. But it does seem possible.

Sounds like you interested in something like the forest moon of Endor from the Star Wars movie "Return of the Jedi" (the third of the original Star Wars trilogy). Certainly it's possible.
    maxsc Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2017, 01:51 AM
    Thank you again.
    I have to say I really enjoy reading your answers more than anyone else's
    They are efficient, sharp, to the point, and it seems you get my original meaning behind the question. Really great.

And yes something like the moon of endor is what is on my mind.

So can you please suggest anything that I need to know for such moon to work?

1. for example the size of both bodies.
    2. distance
    3. can there be 2 other moons? ( just rocks really )
    4. and how would the orbit of such moon be ?? I mean to ask about the day and night cycles and seasons and year...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How close can a jupiter like planet be to an earth ? [ 2 Answers ]

If there is a system with a brighter star and ONLY 2 planets. Can the MUCH bigger planet be the first planet and the earth like planet be second in the planet ?

Is earth the third planet? [ 1 Answers ]

True or false

Is Earth the only populated planet? [ 127 Answers ]

Has God created beings on other planets besides Earth? And if so, are there also sinners in those worlds?

Planet Earth! [ 9 Answers ]

:) I'm hoping for a loong list but I wanted everyone to post anything and everything wrong with the world Examples: Racism, terrorism,. etc.. :D THANKS IF YOU CAN HELP!

Planet Earth [ 14 Answers ]

Has anyone else been watching the Planet Earth series that Discovery is running right now. I am addicted to it as is many of the teachers at my school. It is amazing how they catch the wildlife in their own habitat.

View more questions Search