Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mvosand4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2017, 08:05 AM
    What strength header is required at roofline?
    What strength header is required at roofline to support roof over 76" and 72" 3-panel replacement windows? Is an engineered beam required? There may be as little as 6" from top of window to roof. The upstairs is finished with full bathroom overhead near where these windows will be placed. This is in Maine with potential snowload. Thanks for any help offered.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2017, 02:54 PM
    With 6" about all you can do is 2X6. Consult the attached table.
    Headers & Beams : Size Selection Tables - Southern Pine
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2017, 06:43 AM
    You stated '' from top of window to roof''. Is this the bottom of the rafter at the seat , under the top wall plate or on top of rafter on the outside where shingles are located.

The required header size in middle NY on a 72" span is 2x10 with double jack studs.

Check out manufactured beam for size. Or you can sandwich3/8" finch plate between the 2x6

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strength in faith [ 1 Answers ]

How do you write strength in faith, in Sanskrit

Strength [ 2 Answers ]

Im 16 weight 180 I have two 25 pound dummbells what workout do I do an how many sets idont want to lose weight only gain

Losing strength in one arm, what's the cause? [ 1 Answers ]

Can't grip cups; almost drop anything I carry. Tingle sensations in fingers, wrist and up arms. Most noticeable when sitting in certain positions. Losing muscle and usage of right arm. Slowly progressing

How to claculate certain chemical required to prepare a solution of certain strength [ 1 Answers ]

How to calculate a certain chemical required to treat raw effluent of known volume at a certain ppm?How to calculate strength of that solution?

Deck and roofline [ 3 Answers ]

Building an 18'W X 10'D deck,corner posts 6X6, customer wants a clear span from post to post. Will 2) 2X10's be enough for the header or should there be additional ply to the header? They plan on eventually making this a 3 season porch,but not immediately. And how would I attach this...

View more questions Search