Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kswizzle27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2017, 07:01 PM
    Un verifiable employment history
    Hi ,
    I have been offered a position and they did my background check. One of the Jobs on my Resume is in New Zealand with a company that no longer exists. I was part of a two person team and was paid by check monthly. I can prove I worked there (Emails and a Paystub), but neither I nor Sterling who does the background check can verify the dates of employment. My employer emailed me saying my Background failed and expect a letter from Sterling if there is a error I can dispute it with them. If due to obvious reason like in this case my exact time with this company cannot be verified, can I lose my job offer. What are my rights.

Thank you in advance.
    Kenny
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2017, 07:31 PM
    Where is this. You probably have no rights here. Your job offer was probably contingent on passing s background check.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2017, 01:05 PM
    I have had several jobs that required extensive background checks and were dependent upon a satisfactory completion.

Some employers may allow you to start pending the results... others will wait until the results are in before allowing you to start... but your "rights" here are non-existent. An unsatifactory determination can and usually will result in immediate termination as you offer would have been contingent with a satisfactory finding. I've worked for both.. and have seen several people terminated when the investigation did not end on a positive note. As will it happen in this case? If the business if not longer operating, then they will find this out and make allowances for it. Two of my previous employers are now out of business for example. It didn't reflect negatively upon me.

What will reflect negatively..is over-inflating your responsibilities or your actual qualifications..if you were honest on your resume and interview, then you should have nothing to fear. If its a standard pre-employement screening..they are verifying what you told them....lot of people have been caught telling lies about education, work experience, responsibilities and even actual work history. This is why they are checking a lot more frequently today. There have been cases in the news when someone was fired over 20 years AFTER they were hired for a major lie on their application when it was discovered (don't remember the details without looking it up). That's the exception rather than the rule but it does happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2017, 06:41 PM
    This is not really unusual, many companies fail, go out of business and no background check can be verified. Your income tax statements should show basic years and so on. If they were going to hire you, I can not believe this would stop it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employment History. [ 4 Answers ]

How can I obtain a persons employment records for free?

Google Chrome History vs. Physical Computer History [ 1 Answers ]

It appears there is an address search on my Google ACCOUNT that I didn't do. It's not on the Google history for MY physical Computer, but it's on the physical computer's history on my fiancee's computer. It appears, thus, that the address search came from HER computer rather than mine and...

Employment Restrictions on Employment Authorization Card [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process AOS (I485) under Eb3 from India. My Priority date is Dec 2002. I have been working on a Federal Project as a contractor on my EAD. 2 days ago, they let me go for the reason that the project became high risk, and only US citizens and GC holders are only allowed. I am planning to...

History and or haunted history records on a residential home [ 4 Answers ]

Would like to get free information re: a homes history or haunted history by researching prior tenants or owners to a property located in Vacaville, California. Address: 125 Andover Drive Vacaville CA 95687 curious as to anyone having information on suicide death at this residence. Please help.

Free Employment History [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I obtain a free report of my employment/work history?

View more questions Search