Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2017, 10:41 AM
    Power strip question
    My power strip for computer is showing a steady , red light. Does this mean it is functioning alright and does not need to be changed. I am seeing different answers to this.
    My desktop computer is reading "battery low" and needs to be taken back to the factory and before I do that I need to know if the power strip is alright.
    Thanks.
    askzandar Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2017, 11:11 AM
    Why not just go to your local store and buy a Brand New one?
    That way you know it works and won't have to take the time and hassle to find out if the one you have does work.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2017, 05:15 PM
    You asked the same question about the low battery and it was answered, in my opinion. BIOS battery. Red light on a power strip typically means ON, mine does.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...on-832381.html
    BIOS battery is easily changed, look on U Tube and save yourself some money.
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2017, 10:27 AM
    The battery in a mother board is supposed to last four years, I am told. I have had two computers like this in less than one year. One more replacement and I will ask for a different BRAND. This one is a lemon and needs to be RECALLED. I have a three year contract for maintenance. Each time they send it back they say "It cannot be fixed". Therefore, they give me a new one. Three times and "You're Out!".
    Obviously, there is serious issues with this unit.
    The mother board is never supposed to be opened by anyone except qualified techs in the correct environment. I waste a lot of time doing this, have to pay a person to physically take the monitor back to the store; wait three weeks and pick it up.
    I am just expressing myself. But no one can replace a battery in a motherboard safely. MAYBE in a laptop.
    Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2017, 11:34 AM
    Many power strips show a red light when they are on. Does a lamp or anything work in the power strip?I would research Youtube? Changing Battery on Desktop Motherboard. I like to jumper an external battery while changing, so as not to lose anything Important. May not need to, Not a bad Idea. It may be a CR 2032A short story. I found a Laptop in the Garbage with Power supply, was going to canabalize. But first Plugged in Power supply and into Laptop. Green Light was ON on power supply, Laptop wouldn't power up. Unplugged from laptop no power at end of plug. Unplugged from wall, cut end off the DC end, had power, soldered on new plug on end. Laptop worked fine?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 17, 2018, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverromantic
    The battery in a mother board is supposed to last four years
    Motherboard batteries typically last 4+ years _IF_ the computer is used regularly and not disconnected from power for a long period. If power to the computer is eliminated by turning off the power strip's switch, for example to save power, and then the computer is also used infrequently, the battery will not last as long.

The mother board is never supposed to be opened by anyone except qualified techs in the correct environment.
    If it is necessary to maintain any warranty coverage, I agree. Otherwise...

What makes a tech qualified? Knowledge.
    What makes a correct environment? ESD safe workspace and/or work methods.
    Nothing mystical here.

Touching a metal part of the computer chassis for several seconds while the computer is connected to a properly grounded power outlet will dissipate static. The power cord can then be disconnected. Inexpensive ESD wrist straps and/or mats can also be used if the area has too low humidity to naturally thwart additional static buildup.

There can be an electrical shock hazard inside the computer for several minutes after disconnecting power. Wait. Most recent motherboards have an LED that illuminates when power is applied.

With a modicum of care, a small flat bladed screwdriver, and hemostats or needle-nose pliers, batteries can be changed without touching anything, but this level of fastidiousness isn't necessary to avoid ESD or physical damage to the motherboard or other components.

Does this mean [the power strip] is functioning alright and does not need to be changed.
    Depends on the power strip. Basic power strips just indicate whether the strip is supposed to be ON or OFF. Surge suppression strips may indicate ON and OFF or if the surge suppression is working.

I have not encountered a strip that indicates whether an individual outlet on the strip is failing. This can be checked by an electrician or with a voltage meter. Storm damage can be subtle and also circuit breaker damage if the strip has one. Without tools to test it, askzandar's first answer is the simplest solution.

If storm damage is a possibility, the power cord should also be checked.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 17, 2018, 01:54 PM
    I have PC's that are 20years old and are still using the same motherboard battery. They are 3volt lithium batteries that are rechargeable. Even when the PC is shut down the power supply still applies a small voltage to both keep the battery charged and also to allow for waking or starting the PC with mouse or keyboard function. Without that always on voltage you could not set your PC to be woken by lan or a keyboard power on button. The only time a battery discharges is when the power cord is removed from the wall, the power switch on the back for the power supply is turned off and this will still only discharge the battery if the power is off for a good length of time like in storage. If I put a PC in storage I remove the battery and tape it to the PC door inside for later use. A typical result of a dead or extremely low battery is if you lose your date and time and have to reset it. That means the battery cannot keep the information in the bios updated and your bios then goes back to defaults. If the act of changing the battery voids your warranty what can you do? If you want to change the battery yourself you need to go inside and locate the nickel sized battery and with the power completely off (unplugged) use a small tool to press on the metal tab that hold the battery in and it will pop out. Take note that the positive side of the button battery is visible and the new battery must go in the same way. CR2032 is the typical replacement battery and having a spare is a good idea. So if you put a new one in and it still fails it could mean the motherboard itself or power supply is at fault and not keeping the battery charged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my power strip keep shutting off? [ 1 Answers ]

I am using my motorhome as an office. I am using a portable AC unit because the main AC in the RV does not work. I have the portable AC unit plugged into a surge protector along with a printer. On really hot days, the surge protector will shut off by itself. If I reset the surge protector it...

Power Strip [ 9 Answers ]

I have a lot of power strips. But none are wall mounted. Yes they have slotted holes In the back but they slide out. I guess I could buy a power strip with mounting tabs. I wonder if there is some kind of bracket to affix the power strip to the wall? Any ideas?

Power strip with garage refrigerator [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore refrigerator that I have in the garage, freezer on the bottom about 6 years old. The cord is very short, can I plug it into a power strip with a reset switch and be OK?

Power Strip / Power Director [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a powerstrip or power director that I can place my monitoir on that has power buttons for my printer, monitor, computer, router, etc.. Any suggestions?

Building a Custom Power Strip [ 12 Answers ]

Here’s what I want to do: I am basically making my own power strip. I want to control each outlet with its own switch. I want to use an extension cord for my wiring by pulling out the wire. What do I run to each screw? Please see the pictures for the details. If the pictures are confusing, let...

View more questions Search