Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Antigonus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2017, 12:08 AM
    Will a 220v dryer work with a 250v cord
    I have a 220v dryer and needed a new cord which I just purchased a new cord to install on it and thought was a 220v cord that turned out after I purchased it I noticed it was a 250v cord but it has the same type of 4 prongs and 4 wirings
    Will it still work all the same ?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 1, 2017, 04:54 AM
    Will the cord you purchased plug into the receptacle you have?

If the cord will plug into the receptacle you can use it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2017, 02:45 PM
    Yes, that is the maximum rating. For example, my 120VAC extension cord shows 600 Volts. I think you will find it is 240 VAC, 220 is gone.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2017, 08:31 PM
    Most people keep the cord from their old dryer and put it on the new one to ensure that it will fit the receptacle, if the old cord is okay and free of defects. I just got an old dryer that I fixed up and used and the cord had rubbed on something that completely wore away the insulation on both hot wires. Watch for this sort of thing and make sure nothing rubs against the wire. This can also happen on AC refrigerant lines. Before using the dryer receptacle turn off the breaker and re-tighten all screws inside the cover. They will loosen over time. Then open the breaker panel and use an insulated screwdriver (The shaft is insulated. Go to Home Depot and get a good one like a Klein brand, size 1-3.) and tighten all screws well. Really torque them down well, and you can go around the house and tighten up all the screws on all receptacles, if you are up to it. This can keep your house from burning down as the screws loosen over time from expanding and contracting from heat and then start arcing and melting off the insulation. I have found wires burned several inches into the wall, especially on light switches. Replace devices when you find this; they will fall apart when you start taking them out.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2017, 09:38 AM
    Just some added info. New Construction and Remodels require 4 wire Dryer and Range cords. This way the ground is not used to carry current for any 120 volt parts.

Beware of 1 Klein screwdriver, It has metal at the end that goes all the way through to the driver, it conducts, it is as if is to be used like a chisel. Most screwdrivers say "not to be used as a chisel"? If you are touching ground and tighten a live wire on a breaker, you will be shocked, if in contact with the end?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2017, 10:30 AM
    I have never seen electrician's screwdrivers with an insulated shaft able to conduct electricity through the handle, but possibly, there are some out there that can be poorly made. I have a set of Milwaukee screwdrivers that are well insulated, so I probably should have mentioned those instead. I just had an outlet burn up and almost cause a fire in my house last night as a result of those screws getting loose over time. This is so important to keep a check on one's outlets and breakers plus other electrical connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a 30A 220v in a 30A 250v outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to hookup a 30A 220v espresso machine in kichen. Can I use a 30A 250v dryer outlet? Thanks adam

220v dryer plug different than 220v wall outlet [ 16 Answers ]

Dryer has 2 flat and 1 round prong, outlet has 3 flat prongs. Is there an adapter for that? Also do they make a 220v extension cord or a two into one adapter for a 220v?

Extension Cord from 3 prong 50a 250v plug (male) to 3 prong 250v 20a (female)? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to connect my ac unit 208v need 20a fuses, to my stove plug which have a 50a 250v type outlets. I have this http://images.marketworks.com/hi/58/57750/pas5864-bku-ea-2.jpg And want to fit into this http://applianceguru.com/dryers/dryer_outlet.jpg

Trying to connect 220v 3phase lathe to 220v dryer outlet. [ 12 Answers ]

I want to connect a 220v 3 phase lathe (2hp Baldor motor 2 pole plug with ground) to a 220v 3 wire dryer wall outlet. The lathe plug has black, white and green wires. The dryer outlet is black, white and red. I want to make an extension cord with 12/3 wire, male dryer plug on one end and female...

220v 50a welder, 220v 30a dryer plug [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an arc welder that is 220v 50a. I thought I could plug it into the 220v receptacle in my garage, not realizing how many different types of 220v plugs and amperages there are. The receptacle in my garage turns out to be a 220v 30a dryer plug. My question is can I just change the...

View more questions Search