Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carol henry Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2017, 07:12 AM
    What Is the best way to understand british native speakers?
    Sometimes I watch films or videos in British accent and I don't understand anything. They talk too fast and link words and don't pronounce a lot of letters. I watched some YouTube videos to learn the British accent such as "master the British accent" series and some BBC British accent videos and a lot more and I still don't understand anything. So any tip to help me understand more. Could you suggest any YouTube videos that would help me. Thanks for answering.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2017, 08:10 AM
    Time and practice. I've not had issues with speakers from England, but my neighbors who come from Scotland are especially difficult for me to understand. However I find with time and concentration I get better at it. Same with speakers from India - many have an accent that can be quite difficult, and in addition they use phrases that can seem bit odd to American listeners, so it takes some effort to clearly understand.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 31, 2017, 01:03 PM
    Is English your first language? If English is your second language, then part of the issue may also be trying to translate the words as well as understand the way they are spoken and used. This is common and, as ebaines said, takes time and practice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I was married to british in 2005 and got divorced in 2008 can I get british passpo [ 1 Answers ]

I am from lithuania was married to british in 2005 and got divorced in 2008 but I kept my married name , I still got lithuanian passport in maden name, can I get british passport if I am doverecd been here in uk 6years and all my bills and national insurannce number in married name I need photo ...

British movie, Scottish soldier in British Army hoapital [ 1 Answers ]

Several years ago, perhaps 45 or 50, there was a movie about a Scot in a British Army hospital. He was disliked, but in some manner touched everyone. He died and soldiers who disliked him were sad. I barely remember any more. It seems the Scot soldier was played by an up and coming british actor.

View more questions Search