Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jljr45 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2017, 10:44 AM
    Dining room table finish question
    My mom's old DR table has a spot on it. My son wants to use it, but we are just not sure how to handle this problem. You will see the spot in the pics as well as a chipped spot. I think the table is mahogany, but not certain. Any ideas on how to handle the spot? Would it be advisable to sand the top down and refinish? BTW, the table is about fifty years old. Name:  image5.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  1.33 MBName:  image4.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  1.36 MBName:  image3.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  1.32 MBName:  image2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  1.32 MB
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 30, 2017, 01:08 PM
    Looks more like cherry or possible poplar. DIY spot finishing usually doesn't work out too well. Depending on the top finish, you might try Minwax Furniture refinisher. READ THE LABEL carefully. I would not use this in the house. You might try lightly rubbing with 0000 steel wool and Mineral spirits. Without a total surface sealer removal, restain and refinish, the best bet is a table cloth!

May 30, 2017, 02:24 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be worth taking it to a pro?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2017, 03:09 PM
    You could take it to a pro but this is pretty much a DIY site. I'd try the Minwax refisnisher first but do not sand just yet. Re-finisher, 0000 steel wool and then decide. A pro would likely charge you $100, is it worth it to you?

May 30, 2017, 06:07 PM
    OK. We'll try the Winmax product. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Arunkumaarr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2017, 01:51 AM
    Ask your local carpenter he will help you in fixing such spot. The will be the best for to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self moving dining room table [ 2 Answers ]

Need to move 3'x5 oak table with my Volvo station wagon. I have a tow attachment. The legs cannot be removed

Pooping and peeing on the dining room table? [ 3 Answers ]

My Bischon has just started to poop and pee on the dining room table at night. She has full access to her litter pan, which is cleaned everyday and is able to sleep in our bed as she always has. She has a room of her own with her food and water. She is 4 years old and is up to date on all shots...

I have a dining room table that needs refurbished... Any help? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dining room table that is 40 years or more old. I absolutely love it and would love to get it refurbished. I accidentally broke two of the legs off. I also have a old china hutch that's about the same age, and it needs refurbished as well. I think it was handmade. Does anyone know...

Do I have an antique or collectible dining room table [ 2 Answers ]

Was in the house when I moved in but can't find anythign about it. Where is it from? How old? What's it called?

Selling Stickley dining room table? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Stickley dining room table. On the sticker on the dining table it reads Cherry Valley Stickley Fayette Ville NY. I want to sell this table but have no idea what it would sell for. I do know it was refinished at one time... still looks good now I'm not going to sell the chairs just the...

View more questions Search