Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2017, 10:24 AM
    Toilet allows water to run over the overflow even when set to the lowest water level
    This is a new American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. The water runs over the overflow pipe constantly even when set at the lowest water level.

Water in my new American Standard Cadet 3 toilet runs constantly into the overflow pipe even with the water level at its lowest setting.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 30, 2017, 10:30 AM
    I'm guessing your float is submerged at this point? And this is a brand new unit.

You probibly had debris migrate to the valve which is blocking it from shutting off completely. Assuming pushing the float to its lowest point doesn't allow it to open enough to pass, you may have to turn water off at the wall shutoff and disassemble the valve inside to check for and remove any debris.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 30, 2017, 12:17 PM
    Manually pulling your float device up should shut off the water flow. Does it?

Get a snack and review these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXW7D53suw
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 30, 2017, 12:52 PM
    Pull up the float manually ( with your hand ). See if water stops. If it doesn't stop than there is a debris inside the valve closing mechanism. Close water to the toilet, take fill valve apart, clean rubber gasket, put back together and turn water back ON. See if it closes now

Another thing is that you may have the height of the Fill Valve set too high in relation to the overflow tube. If that's the case, lower the fill valve height to the desired height

..... and just in case: Make sure you are adjusting the lowest / highest float position in relation to the height of water level correctly. Sometimes people confuse those two

Hope that helps

Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2017, 03:11 PM
    If all else fails you can replace the whole fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400A for about $10, that should cure the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lowest cost of measuring well water level [ 1 Answers ]

Lowest cost of measuring well water level (once a month).

After I flush my toilet the water level in the toilet bowl itself is always very low. [ 2 Answers ]

After I flush my toilet the water level in the toilet bowl itself is always very low. How can I fix this issue. Thanks!

Cracked toilet bowl & low water level in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, So I've got two questions regarding two toilets and would appreciate any and all help as I can't afford someone to come in at this point to fix it for me. 1. I managed to drop a crystal (decoration) ball into the toilet which cracked the bowl so a chunk of the porcelain just fell...

Water leakage + toilet bowl water level [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new house (1.5years old) and I recently noticed water leakage from the ceiling just below the master bathroom on the 2nd floor. I called the home builders (I have warranty on this house) and they said they could not find any leaks and that it happened because of improper usage. I am...

Toilet water level [ 3 Answers ]

Toilet water level to low in bowl how do I fixe it :confused:

View more questions Search