Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katiebugbows Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2017, 02:27 PM
    Tree Question
    I have a maple tree covering my yard. It is on the neighbors property, but most of the limbs hang over my yard. Ever since April, it has been dropping seeds and samaras (helicopters) My patio is literally COVERED. Can't even bring food outside because of the contact barrage of seeds. When will it stop? Will it continue throughout the summer months?

Thank you!

Thinking of calling a tree guy to help!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 29, 2017, 06:02 PM
    They drop in the spring when pollinating.. . "but most of the limbs hang over my yard". Cut the offending branches that cross into your property. Neighbor can do nothing about your cutting but make sure they are on your property.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 29, 2017, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    They drop in the spring when pollinating.. . "but most of the limbs hang over my yard". Cut the offending branches that cross into your property. Neighbor can do nothing about your cutting but make sure they are on your property.
    Our neighbor did that to one of our trees and killed it. She should talk with the neighbor before cutting -- at least warn him. And cutting the branches that are hanging over the property line won't stop future "helicopters" from landing in her yard. The tree will still produce them every spring.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 30, 2017, 06:16 AM
    And if you kill the tree cutting it back to the property line you can be held legally and financially liable , and its significant for a healthy mature tree. If someone killed one of my trees they could count on it, but my neighbors love their trees as much as I like mine.

As Wondergirl mentioned.. they will still blow in every Spring as will the leaves every fall. Only way to avoid it... is move to the inner city where everything is concrete and asphalt.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 30, 2017, 07:39 AM
    Investing in a good rake, or broom for the season is great exercise and the fresh air can't hurt, and cheaper than a tree trimmer, or hassles with your neighbor that could escalate. Maybe a leaf blower?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2017, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Maybe a leaf blower?
    Yeah, blow them over the fence to the neighbors property ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tree Root Question [ 6 Answers ]

So a plumber has diagnosed my drain backup issue as tree roots in my sewer line approx. under the sidewalk about 60' from my house. He scoped and showed me the pictures and cleared with all kinds of tips attached to the snake. From here, I have some questions. 1) My pipe is made of a hard...

Family tree question. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was previously married and had 3 children. He since divorced and he an I have been married for 19 years I had 2 children from a previous marriage. We did not have any children together. At every family reunion his first wife is still listed before me. Is this correct.

Question about tree repair? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a maple tree that has split down trunk but not all the way How can I keep it from breaking apart?

Tree Root Question [ 4 Answers ]

A couple of months ago, I posted a plumbing problem where the basement drain was backing up. The plumber came out and said it was the kitchen line that was clogged and cleared it and that seemed to do the trick. This past week, it happened again after heavy rains with much more damage to my...

View more questions Search