Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcharrington122 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2017, 10:27 AM
    Any methonds to fix slow draining tub and sink - have tried MANY things!
    My tub is VERY slow draining. We have tried MANY different Drain-o type products along with home remedies (baking soda, salt, vinegar, boiling water... ). When the tub is draining or you are taking a shower, you can hear the sink making sounds. When you run the water in the bathroom sink (like when brushing your teeth) you can see water come ouut of the drain of the tub.

We have done the same products down the sink as well and are not finding a solution. We also took out the pipe below the sink (in the vanity underneath) and cleaned it out. Is there anything else we can try before calling a plumber?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 24, 2017, 10:40 AM
    Check these videos out, hope they help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvY7BRzMbq8
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 24, 2017, 11:02 AM
    Don't use Draino. The blockage is probably well pass the Draino treatment. You have to snake the drain. Tub and sink connect in common drain and that is where the blockage more likely sits. Use 3/8" snake and run it through clean out or if you don't have one, you will have to remove trap from the sink and run it through drain inlet at the wall. Run it several times and go as far as you can. After you feel you purged the blockage, reconnect drain and run lot of hot water for several minutes.

You can rent snake from Home Depot / rental dept. for couple of hours.

Hope that helps

Milo
    MiloColeman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2017, 11:13 AM
    I am thinking AIR behind water. Do you know if you have a plumbing air vent? If it is on the roof then I would suggest you snake it out as well. If you have an air vent that is hidden in the wall, I do not know what you should do. ( The man at hardware store told me they are installing air vents open within the wall and not going out to the roof or even out the wall to the outside at all. )

Also, is this JUST the one room n the house or is it throughout? If it is throughout the house, I wonder what type of septic set up you have. Is it a holding tank or a septic tank with a drain field? If the above advice doesn't work, your septic setup would be the next thing to consider. For example, my dad had an apartment he rented that HAD a septic tank but NO drain-field, so once it was full that was that, and water would then drain VERY slow. Or in my home I have ONLY a holding tank that once full will drain back into the home and never out of the house. If you have a septic tank WITH a drain field, then you may be in need of cleaning out the tank. (Also if it is a septic tank, I would suggest you put septic tank enzymes down the drain monthly. They sell them in the same section you buy your Drain o.)
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2017, 04:27 PM
    Here is one more Youtbe as Talaniman suggested, good luck

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZklniOo_4
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 5, 2017, 10:04 PM
    Also, slow draining tub may be caused by body hair caught up on the tub stopper. Remove overflow plate, pull out stopper and clean it. Same goes with sink: remove stopper, clean it, reinstall. See if that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Draining Sink [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a house with a slow draining sink. Drano has be tried but I believe the configuration of the pipes may be causing the slow drain. I think the pipe that goes into the wall is too high up. It should be level with the pipe the goes across from the U pipe. See picture below. Does...

Sink draining slow after studer mini-vent placed under sink. [ 14 Answers ]

Our double sink stopped draining. We called a plumber he came out and used an electric snake and said he hit snaked approx. 55 feet. Drain did empty but very slowly. Plumber said he was sure there was no longer an obstruction. He did tell us he felt we needed a mini-vent underneath the sink...

Slow draining sink, tub OK [ 2 Answers ]

Remodeled bathroom, now sink slow, tub & toilet OK

Slow draining bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have had a problem with my bathroom sink draining slowly for a long time. I just recenlty put in a new vanity and sink and changed the trap but I only ran a small electrician snake down the copper pipe to stack. I was wondering maybe I shoud use a bigger snake. My toilet and tub drain...

Kitchen Sink Slow Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a double sink in my kitchen. When the 1st sink is plugged and is full with water and I begin to use the 2nd sink the water starts to back up. When I pull the plug on the 1st. Sink a large air bubble surfaces and the water starts to flow better in the 2nd sink. Both sinks join into one pipe...

View more questions Search