Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zaslam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2017, 10:30 PM
    Iddat
    Assalam o alaikum,

I have recently been divorced and I have been informed I would need to observe a 3 month period of iddat. I believe the iddat period is observed to ensure the male parent of any offspring is known. I am confused to whether I need to observe iddat as I had been separated from my partner for almost 2 years. Therefore, there is no chance of a pregnancy. If I still need to observe iddat could you please explain why this is.

Thank you
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 24, 2017, 03:35 AM
    It's self explanatory, and protects YOU from scandal, because if you did become pregnant you would be dragged through the mud for breaking a religious rule imposed on you. Maybe it doesn't seem fair, as you celebrate finally being officially rid of this man, but after 2 years what is 3 months to satisfy your community (And save his face)?

No, maybe you cannot be pregnant by him, but obviously being pregnant by another would cast doubt on your own piety, and the honor of your family, during this OFFICIAL time. You should consult with your local religious leader or an older female if you need a better explanation, to save you from gossip, and shame as the consequence of breaking the religious RULES.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2017, 11:00 AM
    Talaniman, you gave excellent advices it what not let me gave you green.

Zslam,

There are many Fatwas by many religious people regarding the iddat, please open the links below you may find some information to help you, I will also suggest to consult with your Imam as Talaniman says, Good luck.

https://islamqa.info/en/12667

https://islamqa.info/en/5163

Iddah After Seperation - Exploring Islam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a girl in islam remarry her first husband again after doing iddat [ 1 Answers ]

Can a girl remarry her first husband again after completing her iddat?

Iddat [ 1 Answers ]

Assalamualaikum.iam a married girl.I have given an application for khula.I am not staying with my husband from past 10 months.I want to know the duration and rules and regulations regarding iddat.

View more questions Search