Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2017, 04:33 AM
    Clean Out Plug
    The people want to extend the height of their PVC clean out plug.
    I see the male adapter that screws into the clean out plug threads.
    But the other end has no threading for the cap to screw on.
    Attached Images

talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 22, 2017, 04:52 AM
    How was the old cap secured, or more to the point, why did they buy an adapter that wouldn't take a cap? I've seen plenty of outdoor clean out caps that are fastened with gold seal clamps.

The adapter that has threads for a screw in cap is easily available. Where is this clean out located?
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2017, 05:01 AM
    The clean out cap is outside the bathroom window that goes to the septic tank.
    The pvc caps just screws on. It is level with the ground. The wanted to extend the height a bit, yet they want to be able to remove the extension if they needed to snake the line. They haven't purchased anything yet.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 23, 2017, 03:18 PM
    Install a male adapter and then install a female adapter (also called an end clean out) into the male adapter...add screw in plug to female adapter. You can purchase a STREET female adapter as pictured below (requires no pipe) and extend the cleanout a few inches, or if more is needed, purchase a length of pipe and a regular female adapter.

[ATTACH48780][/ATTACH]Name:  eco.png
Views: 136
Size:  26.0 KBAttachment 48778
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 23, 2017, 03:58 PM
    Wow I see it. That will solve the problem. I wonder if HD will cut the pipe.
    A 10 foot length is too much. 12 inches is more than enough
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 23, 2017, 05:28 PM
    HD doesn't cut PVC where I am, but they have a section full of short lengths.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 23, 2017, 07:04 PM
    I echo Mark's advice. Just add square plug and you are set

Milo
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2017, 10:34 AM
    I like Mark's idea, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a clean out plug cap for old cast iron pipes [ 6 Answers ]

The cap of my u shaped clean out access is stripped. It does not seal tightly causing constant dripping from the area. How can I fix the problem if a cap can't be located. Thank you

Clean out plug necessary? [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter lives in a house built before 1940. A plumber told them that their floor drain in the basement doesn't need a plug in the clean out. In fact, they were told that there was a 'built in' p-trap AND the reason floor drain was backing up from the washing machine was because of the...

I changed the spark plug,oil,filter is clean and it had gas in it.it won't start [ 6 Answers ]

It's a briggs stratton small lawn mower. It was given to me and I put a new spark plug in it and cleaned the filter and it cranked right up. I used it 3 times and it died again so I got a nother spark plug because old one was rusted and changed oil and filter is clean and has gas in it... it starts...

Major plug no clean out valve what to do ? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a plug somewhere in the line. We can not find the clean-out for the plumber to access the line. He says find the pipe or he won't even attempt to fix it. Is there a way to fix the problem from inside the house?

View more questions Search