Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Belle_1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2017, 07:11 PM
    How to get a NYPL card from outside ?
    I live in Asia and when ever I make a NYPL card it gives me a temporary card, unfortunately temporary card can not be used to access lynda.com for free, any idea how can I get a NYPL card ?
    NYPL = New York Public Library
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 20, 2017, 07:17 PM
    Are you a LinkedIn member?

Have you contacted NYPL?

https://www.nypl.org/collections/art...report-problem
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2017, 04:51 AM
    From the NYPL site:
    You must live, work, attend school or pay property tax in New York state in order to qualify for a New York Public Library account.

So, unless you establish residency you can only get a temp card.

May 25, 2017, 11:19 AM
    Sure I did, they said I must be living there..
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 25, 2017, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle_1 View Post
    I live in Asia and when ever I make a NYPL card it gives me a temporary card, unfortunately temporary card can not be used to access lynda.com for free, any idea how can I get a NYPL card ?
    NYPL = New York Public Library

Quote Originally Posted by Belle_1 View Post
    Sure I did, they said I must be living there..
    SO how are you living in Asia, OR do you have an established residence and pay taxes in NY (I.E. living in NY)? One or the other applies. The former means you don't qualify, and I doubt if you are living in Asia now that you have established a residence, work, attend school and/or pay taxes in New York as is required.

May 25, 2017, 07:09 PM
    ^
    I am not American and I have never been to NY city. I just heard that getting a NYPL card will get me a free access ro lynda.com and I was hoping someone could help in a way or another .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 25, 2017, 07:18 PM
    I Googled it here, and it appears there is a free TRIAL period then you pay, and that requires opening an account with a method of payment.

May 26, 2017, 09:14 AM
    For 10 days only and you can't access the entire course just a couple of videos.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 26, 2017, 10:58 AM
    You had a taste so is it worth it or not? What? You thought the WHOLE thing would be free? That's not how it works.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2017, 11:36 AM
    Property taxes support public libraries. If someone wants a card at a certain library but doesn't live in that district/state, he/she has to pay a pro-rated amount to make up for the taxes not paid.

May 27, 2017, 10:40 AM
    I already took that free trail, NYPL card provides two months membership wich is more than enough gor anyone to finish learning. Back to link you posted, it shows that Lynda.com now is giving 30 days as a free trail don't know whe did that change, so guss I am going to sign up for another trail.
    Thanks for considering my issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card holder refuses to get new expiring card... how do I report this? [ 0 Answers ]

I am aware of someone that entered legally into the US almost 50 years ago as a young child. At the age of 18 he applied for and received an Alien Registration card, which at that time wasn't required to renew. The laws have since changed and all holders of Green Cards are required to update to...

Is a Credit Card Protection Plan really going to pay off the outstanding redit Card b [ 5 Answers ]

Mother is 93 and has pancreatic cancer.I, the daughter am the only living beneficiary will inherit through a trust of a one million dolaar home and through TOD's about $15,000. In stocks. There is $22,000.00 in credit card debt. Will I be responsible for this credit card debt in California? My...

How can I tell if a credit card number is a "real" VISA/MC or a card Check?Debit Card [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to tell based on the account number? Thanks.

View more questions Search