Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ACoppersmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2017, 10:17 AM
    When is it okay to leave home for college?
    I am currently a junior in HS, but starting my sophomore year in college through dual enrollment in the fall. I am 16, but will be 17 in October. I live in Colorado, and as soon as I graduate next May, I want to head to Hawaii to continue my education, but my parents are saying I shouldn't go because I'll be too young, even though I'll turn 18 a month into the semester. I am a straight A student with a 3.8 GPA, in many honor societies through the HS and the college. My home life isn't so great, so I don't know if just leaving would put me in a bad spot with my parents, thoughts?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 18, 2017, 10:21 AM
    Have you been accepted by a college in Hawaii? (Why Hawaii, by the way?)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 18, 2017, 10:44 AM
    Scholarships? Jobs lined up? Will your parents support you? You're a smart cookie, tell us your plans. You do have a plan besides just leaving home and going to school don't you? Why Hawaii?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 18, 2017, 01:47 PM
    'I am currently a junior in HS, but starting my sophomore year in college through dual enrollment in the fall. I am 16, but will be 17 in October. I live in Colorado, and as soon as I graduate next May, I want to head to Hawaii to continue my education, but my parents are saying I shouldn't go because I'll be too young, even though I'll turn 18 a month into the semester.'

You will be spending your senior year in HS, combined with freshman year in college, at home. You will be 17 this Oct and 18 next Oct, 5 months after you leave home.

I started college when I was 17, and turned 18 in Dec. There was simply no difference to my social maturity from those who were about a year older.

Is there more to this concern of your parents? Is it how far away it is? Expensive to fly home each holiday? I'm not getting what they expect you to DO in limbo for a year. Or is that they want you to wait til SEPT instead of MAY?

Good grief. If that's the issue here, you sure obscured it.

They still support you, and are legally liable for you til your 18th birthday. You can gripe your way through next summer. Take some summer courses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2017, 06:52 PM
    After you are 18, you can go, but your parents may not pay for it, so you will have to provide all of the funds.

Till you are 18, you do as parents tell you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2017, 04:53 AM
    I have a feeling that the rest of you aren't reading this right. He wants to leave home right after HS graduation. His parents want him to leave home right before school starts. I don't think money is a concern, and he's already accepted at college.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2017, 05:30 AM
    I have to agree Joy, seems to be a matter of going to Hawaii after graduation, or waiting for the fall. I think a mature youngster with a solid plan should execute it, and respectfully articulate it to his parents. I'm old school, and any chance to work and save money before taking off is a good idea in my book. I see a possibility of working and saving up almost two grand before September which would mean you wouldn't be at home a lot so its win/win.

Like many threads the OP doesn't answer questions or supply feedback... or hasn't yet. Be interesting to parse the details out with more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Off to college in Aug. 2012, but I don't want to leave him. [ 5 Answers ]

So I am graduating in May of 2012, and my boyfriend will not be. I really don't want to leave him, and he says it slays him that I am going to leave. I said he could come with me and we could live in that couples housing on campus and he said he might. What happens if he can't? I will be 8 hours...

On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be...

Leave early, go to college? [ 3 Answers ]

The past few years I've had emotional strains as well as many other various issues and reasons, so I was wondering if it would be possible to drop out of high school and audition for a performing arts college or conservatorium ( e.g.. Drama or music,dance). If they believed I was good enough could...

19 Year old home from college [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just returned home from being away at college for the past 10 months. She has gained over 60 pounds and is doing terrible in school. Now that she is home she keeps her room messy, is unkempt and ignores most of what we ask of her. She is never verbally disrespectful, but just...

Home schooled: credits for college? [ 3 Answers ]

Im homeschooled, this is my senior year, I would like to know how I can obtain credits for Collage, does anyone know anything about it? If you do please can you help me with some information please?

View more questions Search