Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brenda Haggai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2017, 10:48 AM
    Mechanical clock
    Why does my mechanical clock run faster as the spring becomes looser? In the weekly cycle of winding, the clock keeps perfect time for the first 2 days or so, but as the spring becomes looser, it runs ahead of time or becomes faster by up to 7 minutes. What is the answer to this phenomenon?
    Thank you,
    Brenda Haggai
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 17, 2017, 11:15 AM
    The internet is full of info you can Google but I would prefer you consult with a professional for any cleaning and ADJUSTMENTS.

You never said which kind of clock or how old it is.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 17, 2017, 11:23 AM
    Odd... its usually the other way around. Got me curious about this now. Wild guess thrown out...perhaps the fully wound spring places a greater friction load that results in a minuscule difference on the escapement mechanism that converts that spring tension into rotational motion? Would or might explain why as it winds down it might actually speed up a small amount.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 18, 2017, 07:29 AM
    Not solution you want to hear, but if you can't find a good clock person, wind every 2 days or so. Good Luck
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 19, 2017, 06:13 AM
    This does seem strange. For a coil spring (which I assume is what is in your clock) the torque that the spring exerts is roughly proportional to the tightness of the coil. Stated another way: the torque is inversely proportional to the radius of curvature of the spring material. As the spring unwinds and gets loser, the radius of curvature increases and the torque decreases. So one would expect that the escapement mechanism would run slower as the spring unwinds. Most clock designs try to avoid this by not letting the coil unwind too far (i.e., try to keep the radius of curvature fairly constant).

I'm wondering if the issue may be that the teeth of the escapement wheel are worn to the point where at slower speeds it can turn freely, without properly engaging the lever?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How soon after 6 o'clock will the hands of the clock be together? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I have detailed answers? Please and thank you.

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) oreng ime is equvelnt to B Tech mechanical [ 0 Answers ]

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) ime is equvelnt to Regular B Tech mechanical engineering? After ime we can take addmision in M Tech in regular? Its very hard to clear all subject?

Not paid if miss clock in or clock out [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in Kansas. My employer has recently included in our personnel policy that if we miss clocking in or clocking out we will not be paid for that portion of the day. So: if you clock in after lunch, but forget to clock out when you leave... You don't get paid for the whole afternoon. We...

View more questions Search