Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Markj0722 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2017, 01:17 PM
    Premature gray/white hair
    Hi I am a 19 year old male about to turn 20 and for the last year or so I have been been not gray but white hairs growing on my head. I have short hair also. It started with just a couple and it's been growing more ever since. I've read that it could be hereditary but my family has no history of premature graying or white hairs. I have dyed my hair a couple times to help hide them but it only lasts until the roots grow back with white hair. I have not gone to any professional service to check it out. I don't know what could be causing it. Any help on what causes it or what I can do to get rid of them?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2017, 03:16 PM
    You might want to check with your doctor. My sister started graying at 23 and found out she had a thyroid condition which somehow can help produce gray hair. Your body has probably stopped producing that thing (can't remember what it's called) that gives your hair your color. I loathe shaving and I first started getting gray hairs in my beard which I hated. I know that is tough when you are 20 but you shouldn't let it define you. Color it or have fun with it.
    Markj0722 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2017, 01:24 PM
    Thank you very much and I think the word your thinking of Is melonin. I hope I don't have a thyroid condition.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2017, 02:25 PM
    Fine, get some tests done, but PLEASE don't dye your hair or worry about it. Many of us find white or grey or salt and pepper hair attractive at any age. If you really look around, you will see how common it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I dyed my blonde hair bleached to a cool brown . Now its gray should I strip my hair [ 2 Answers ]

I dyed my bleached blonde hair to Ferria cool brown, now it is gray. Should I strip my hair color before trying to color it again?

Semi-permanent hair color on gray hair. [ 0 Answers ]

I put a semi-permanent color on my gray hair just for fun. I have washed it maybe 20 times and it is lighter but now I have gray roots coming in. I want my gray hair back. Can someone please help me?

Have gray hair and can not use sensitive developer, what can I use to cover gray [ 0 Answers ]

Have gray hair and can not use sensitive developers, what can I use?

White and gray hair [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Quit Coloring My Hair, It Is Now White In Front, Silver Gray And Brown Else Where. Is There A Way To Soften The Color Difference? I Liked The White Until I Saw How Ugly The Gray And Brown Was In A Photo. Really Looked My Age! Judy

View more questions Search