Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diane Dimond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2017, 02:51 PM
    Is the pain med Tramadol as strong as morphine and...
    ... if a lab tested 6 Tramadol pills would the test come back as positive for Morphine?

Reason: A friend of mine is in prison. This person receives Tramdol for pain. This person popped a pill of Tramadol in his/her mouth and after walking away from the medication window pocketed the pill so he/she could take it later, at bedtime when pain is at its worst. This person did that six times. After a cell search guards found six partially dissolved Tramadol pills in the cell. Now, the prison is claiming that they didn't know what the pills were but that a lab test shows it was positive for morphine.

Is this possible? We know Tramadol is a synthetic opioid and in New York Tramadol is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance. We also know ingesting Tramadol does NOT result in a dirty urine test because it metabolizes in one's system.

Again, my question is about testing pure pills. Thank you in advance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 11, 2017, 06:17 PM
    Your question is best asked from a pharmacist. Sorry, we are not equipped to determine this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2017, 06:53 PM
    Does not matter, the prison will not be doing criminal charges normally and just doing discipline inside, it is not like they have rights and any ability to challenge. Just having those pills, is a serious violation, morphine or just the pills they had, it would make no difference in prison punishment they were given.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 12, 2017, 03:53 AM

Below is morphine structure, C17H19NO3

Most synthetic opioids are similar to morphine.
    They are close enough that some labs might classify them together. I imagine that prisons use the cheapest ones.
    Print these out and show them to a chemistry teacher or a pharmacist, if either has the time to explain.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 12, 2017, 06:01 AM
    Now, the prison is claiming that they didn't know what the pills were but that a lab test shows it was positive for morphine.

Is this possible?
    Anything is possible in a prison lab if indeed they have a lab, and not just a rapid test kit like the cops use. That's as logical as a prisoner who needs pain med at night being able to accumulate 6 pills. That indicates no meds for almost a week.

And while a prison may exaggerate their test results, no doubt so will the inmates caught up in doing the wrong thing (hiding meds?). Tramadol shows up as Tramadol or one of it's derivatives. Could your boyfriend have something other than just tramadol among the 6 pills they found?

Of course he could! Depending on the dosages tramadol can be as strong as morphine. They can be used both separately and together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failed disa drug test for morphine but I'm clean did not take morphine [ 1 Answers ]

Help , I did not take morphine , how could I have failed a hair folicle test for it?

Strong pain medicine without codiene [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a complete knee reconstruction and am allergic to codiene is there a strong pain killer I can take. Thks Barbara

30mg morphine for pain [ 1 Answers ]

They put me on 30mg morphine er and since I started taking it I can't get rid of a headache will you see if you can find out if that is notmal I have screen so dark I can't see crap... I am on a pain contract and I don't know what to do it feels like my hhead is going to explode. Can this cause...

Strong pain in my chest, why could this be? [ 5 Answers ]

I don't drink coffee, I try to excersise as much as possible, and I eat well. I could be just sitting down, I could be doing anything and this sharp pain in my chest comes and I have to hold my breath for a few seconds because it hurts so much to take a breath.. What could this be?

Loss of appetite, strong abdominal pain [ 3 Answers ]

OK, so here's my deal. Sorry it's so long, but I haven't been feeling well for a very long time and need some advice since doctors have no idea. In February I started getting very bad abdominal pains, they would be very sharp and wake me up in the middle of the night if I was able to sleep at...

View more questions Search