Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    otay1962 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2017, 08:11 AM
    Sending money oversea
    US citizen sent $60,000 to non US citizen relative in Vietnam through Western Union to help her buying property. The property is in her name. What is my tax obligation? What form do I need to file? Is this consider a gift? This is not a loan.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2017, 06:50 PM
    First no one would send 60,000 by Western Union, that would be insane, you do a bank transfer. It will also trigger 5 or more national security agencies that will investigate you and what the money is being used for.

I will say that this is a major investment there, what type of property is it ?
    Next why would you have any tax obligation, you I would assume took this money out of your bank, where you already had paid tax on it. So where the money came from for you to send makes a different, If it was not a loan, and you were not paying them for services, then it is a gift.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

May 11, 2017, 07:28 PM
    There are other ways to send money to VN that will lower the transfer fee and all tax "obligation". Check the Vietnamese yellow page for CA ,TX , VA/DC , "chuyen tien"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of Money from Oversea [ 1 Answers ]

My brother inlaw who is a citizen of Israel wishes to transfer $400,000.00 from his bank account to my wife's bank account in US. My wifw is a citizen of US. How IRS look at this? Will this money be taxable? How my wife can avoid taxes?

Sending money to india IRS [ 3 Answers ]

Question on Sending money to parents:(I am working on H1b visa in USA) Hi,I know as per Gift Tax Laws in USA I can send a max money of 13,000 to each parents in foreign country.Beyond that I need to pay gift tax. Now my questions are 1)if I send money to joint account of my parents(Dad and...

Wiring money from oversea to open a business [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have plans to open a restaurant. His brother, who is oversea, will help funding the business by wiring money from his business bank account oversea to our bank account here in the US. What are the tax consequences and filing requirements for wiring it to our personal account vs...

Sending money abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US resident (on work visa so considered a resident for tax purposes) and I want to send some money to my parents in India. The money will an interest free loan to help them out and they will probably pay it back in a year or two. Do I have to pay tax if I send in excess of the exempt amount?...

View more questions Search