Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkerich Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2017, 05:39 AM
    Building a Raised Garden box, rebar getting stuck
    I am building a raised Garden box using the landscaping timbers. I am using 4 layers of timbers and am dovetailing the corners. My problem is the rebar are not going through the hole into the next timber. I think my problem is the timbers are shifting and the holes are going out of aliment. So what is the right technique to do this? Do two layers at a time? Have someone else hold the timbers so they don't shift? When I did a box with only 2 layers I had no problems hammering the rebar through the timber holes.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 11, 2017, 12:34 PM
    Rebar isn't always straight. You might consider a slightly bigger hole. The rebar ends should be radiused like a spike.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 11, 2017, 06:24 PM
    You are over-thinking the application. You should only have to stagger the timbers. No one I know uses dovetailing or rebar. How high are you making the boxes?
    jkerich Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2017, 11:17 AM
    4 rows of timbers high. I found that putting my foot on the timbers stop them from shifting as I hit the rebar in as well has not hitting it hard allowed me to get it though all 4 timbers without problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raised veins in front of elbows, tattoos raised also raised and hard [ 1 Answers ]

The veins where my elbows bend are raises and hurt to the touch. Also when this happens all tattoos that I have are also raised. Not sure If I should worry or not

Rebar footing? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have this wall of a building 42ft but was told that I did not have enough columns so how do I put a column in Thanks

Should Rebar Be Placed in a New Driveway or Patio [ 7 Answers ]

Talking with a builder this weekend they mentioned rebar is not a standard feature in the concrete for the drive way or the covered patio in the back. It's about $1.00 per sq ft to have it installed. What are the advantages to adding rebar into the concrete for the driveway? Do I need it?

How to use rebar in a block wall [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I've read all the answers on How to build a cinder block wall using re-bar and concrete. My question is: How is the re-bar set in the footing to secure it and keep it standing straight up. Is the concrete put into the footing, a cinder block put down onto the wet concrete and then the...

Rebar in foundations [ 2 Answers ]

If you have an old foundation that does not have rebar, and you are going to tear down the existing house and rebuild. Is there a way to reinforce with rebar in the existing foundation?

View more questions Search