Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grim_creation Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2017, 12:46 PM
    Well Water Pressure
    Hello all.Normally I'd try to do research and do thing myself but this one stumps me.We just moved into a new house, new for us anyway, and there was no water pressure. It's on well water so it has a bladder tank, which is brand new. At most 2 years old.We had some pressure at the faucets but nothing spectacular. I went down and inspected the tank pressure gauge and it was set to 20/40 with a 30/50 switch on it. Then I checked the pressure full and it was at 40 psi full. So I drained the tank and checked it and it read flat 0. We charged the tank to 38psi and set the pressure switch to 40/60. The problem is, there's been no noticeable change in our water pressure whatsoever. The tank cycles on an appropriate time scale between shut off and on. There's just crap for pressure throughout the house. Especially at the kitchen and bathroom faucets. The tubs have a lot of flow, as they are direct 3/4 lines, but the faucets which get reduced to 1/2" don't have jack.What could be my other culprits for water pressure?Also, I checked it a week after I recharged the tank and the air pressure was still held at what it should be.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2017, 03:38 PM
    Hi Grim

Try removing the aerators from the end of the faucets and clean them... famous for getting clogged up at houses with well water. Post back with results and let us know if there is any improvement.

Mark

May 9, 2017, 03:41 PM
    I probably should have added that it was done before turning the water back on while we shocked the well after working on the pipes just before hand, was some really screwed up stuff done with the plumbing in the basement. Those were dirty and clogged before hand and have remained clean ever since we finished flushing the bleach.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2017, 03:49 PM
    Hi Grim

I'm a city boy so not much help on well systems, but we have a few guys here that will pop in and see the question... may be that they can help a bit.

If they don't come up with anything real useful you may need to look into BOOSTER PUMPS for your house. These can boost the pressure quite a bit and really are not too expensive.

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 9, 2017, 05:37 PM
    The tub has no restrictor on it. Faucets do. You may have debris in the aerator, riser pipes or angle stop, particularly the old screw on/off type.

May 10, 2017, 03:47 PM
    If there's debris in the riser pipes, any way to clear it out? Any way to tell where in them?

Definitely nothing in the aerators since I cleaned 'em last, looked at 'em last night to check.

Everything in the house is run with pex and crimp fittings, if that matters. I grew up with my dad yelling at me about how much of a PITA copper was to work with whenever we had to do it so pex is new to me.

We also replaced all the faucets, shower heads, and the faucet assemblies for the showers when we moved in as they were all crap, garbage, or just plain stupid and ugly. Did re-use the 1/2" risers to the faucets in the bathrooms however. Kitchen had to be reduced to 3/8" for the pull out faucet/dishwasher.

Thanks for the replies so far!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 10, 2017, 06:14 PM
    I would turn off the angle stop, remove the riser at the faucet. Then put the riser end in a bucket and turn the angle stop to open. Look at the water flow from each riser. Are they the same? If the flow is restricted, check the angle stops. If they are the older screw on/off, I'd look at loose or deteriorated washers. I just did a new toilet last Friday, could not turn the water off at the stop. Shut the house water off, removed the angle stop-no washer. Well, the washer went somewhere over it's 20 year history. Even a small blockage will restrict the flow. I would also check the water pressure at the house. Make sure you are testing AFTER the well regulator. Should have 40-50#. I just replacer the PRV at my house, city water, because it was leaking. Factory set at 40#, after flowing faucets, boosted to 50#. Big difference.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 10, 2017, 09:02 PM
    So I drained the tank and checked it and it read flat 0. We charged the tank to 38psi and set the pressure switch to 40/60.
    That all sounds good.

The problem is, there's been no noticeable change in our water pressure whatsoever.
    Obviously there is something wrong. Sixty pounds of pressure should give you good flow and pressure.

Suggestion
    With pressure gauge reading 60 lbs. have someone open a faucet while you watch the pressure gauge. How long does it take for the pressure to drop to 40 lbs?

How big is the tank?

I'm going to guess that pressure drops immediately.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 11, 2017, 11:44 PM
    Ma06 has some good advice. Go with this. If your tub faucets have good pressure, then it would seem the well system is good. Problem has to be in house somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub hot water pressure drop within minutes, shower hot water pressure no problems. [ 2 Answers ]

American Standard, I believe 1032 approximately 7 years old. Cartridge was replaced after 'hammering' started, no more hammering but... When the shower is running fully open, comfortably hot temp, there are no pressure issues; however when the tub component is utilized the water pressure will...

Kohler K-304-K valve has plenty of cold water pressure, but no hot water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

So I just installed a K-304-k into a house. The house has been vacant for about 15 months now, so no one has been using the water. I came in and replaced the valve, and closed up the wall. I installed all the fixtures, and sure enough, no hot water. It comes out in a slow trickle. Here are...

Low cold water pressure, good hot water pressure on well system [ 0 Answers ]

Have a house on a well system. House is 24 years old, and over past year have noticed a continual decrease in cold water pressure. Hot water is fine. Well system maintains roughly a 42- 46 psi. The house has 40 psi at main line. House had flexible plastic water lines throughout, When flow...

Low hot water pressure on a kitchen sink, good cold water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single faucet sink where the cold water pressure is fine and all other sinks have good hot and cold water pressure. I replaced the kitchen faucet two years ago along with new lines. As of late I'm getting very little hot water pressure along with having to run the water for about 10...

Low water pressure-copper pipe-city pressure has been checked-pressure low at any fix [ 20 Answers ]

Low water pressure copper pipe low at all fixtures and faucets. City has checked pressure. They installed new shutoff in streetalso. They checked meter and was OK. I am orignal owner feed from street is 3/4".copper house also. House built in 1972. Problem started 6 months ago. I am at whits...

View more questions Search