Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arthur T Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2017, 05:26 PM
    Antenna grounding
    In earth grounding a scan/ham radio setup, I'm supposed to connect my antenna ground to my house panel ground. Can I connect my antenna ground to my ac outlet ground (where my outdoor cables enter the house) or do I have to run a direct line halfway around the house to connect to the main ac panel ground?? Thank you!
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2017, 06:47 AM
    You should follow the antenna installation guidelines as closely as possible...
    I won't comment on the operational side of this connection but as a power engineer, connecting a lightning rod (your antenna looks like one) to a receptacle would route a lighting strike through your house. Making the connection at the grounding electrode system as close to the electrode (likely the copper incoming water service) as possible would be my recommendation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 8, 2017, 06:49 AM
    You're talking about grounding the metal structure of the antenna mast, correct? This ground connection is a safety feature that insures (a) there is no significant difference in voltage between the antenna metalwork and ground or ground of your electrical system system and (b) that in case of lightning strike the energy of the lightning bolt will be carried safely to ground without going through wiring in your house. Attaching the antenna mast to a ground wire on an AC outlet will alleviate (a) but would be terrible for (b). You must ground the mast to an appropriate ground rod outside the house to ensure that in case of lightning strike you don't burn your house down, blow out all the electronic devices in your house, or (heaven forbid) electrocute anyone in the house.

One option: drive a ground rod near the base of your antenna and tie the antenna metal structure to it, BUT ... that second ground rod MUST be tied to the main ground rod near your electrical panel with a 6 AWG or larger conductor. So one way or another you're going to have to connect to the existing ground rod.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding a TV antenna [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing a small antenna for an HDTV and I want to be sure it is adequately grounded. My understanding is that it needs to be grounded to both a separate rod and to the main service ground; my main issues have to do with logistics and equipment. First, the rod. At the hardware store,...

Do I need to bond a grounding rod I installed for an antenna to my home's ground? [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing an antenna on my roof. I bought some coax with ground wire attached that I am going to attach to a grounding block at the coax entry point. To the grounding block I am going to attach a #6 bare copper wire to an 8ft copper clad grounding rod. Is this sufficient as is? I read...

Properly grounding a roof antenna [ 8 Answers ]

I've looked through the threads on this subject and found the answers confusing. What's the proper way to ground my roof TV antenna and mast? According to this HDTV primer site, I need to attach the antenna to BOTH my main panel and a ground rod. This seems redundant. Antenna Primer (1)...

Grounding an antenna with coaxial cable that has a ground wire included [ 1 Answers ]

We installed an antenna next to our trailer on a mast pole. The coaxial cable we used had a gound wire in it but we didn't use it. We grounded the pole to a grounding rod in the ground and connected copper wire to it. We didn't connect the ground wire inside the cable at all. Is this a mistake?

Differnce between neutral grounding and separated grounding [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between neutral and separate grounding?? Why and when do you defer between them?? Basically why do we ground, what's its purpose and what are the differences between the varying methods. I hope I don't sound dumb but the US NAVY nuclear electrical school didn't teach me ...

View more questions Search