Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fdcc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2017, 02:45 PM
    Block foundation wall
    Before backfill can be done you need to do what first?

Put on the sill plate
    Water proof the inside of the wall
    Or Block bracing
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 2, 2017, 03:44 PM
    Water proof the outside of the wall. Unless you are taking a test from over 70 years ago...
    Fdcc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2017, 06:35 PM
    Ok thanks for you help. I'm studying for the residential builders exam and I couldn't find that answer for the homework anywhere. In the question it says inside of the wall. But as long as that's the answer that all I need to know . Thanks again
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 3, 2017, 02:08 AM
    No no I was just being sarcastic! I would guess they want block bracing. Unless the top row of blocks is open, and dirt would get in without the sill. Nobody builds block foundations anymore, do they?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 3, 2017, 12:28 PM
    A sill plate does offer some support. However, a comment such as "backfill" would suggest below grade. Most below grade block foundations would have some type of pilaster, typically at intersection and middle wall length.
    Block is rarely used below grade due to porosity, even with coatings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Block Foundation on Frame Garage [ 4 Answers ]

I have a sixty-five year old frame garage. It currently has a block foundation which is only visible about 3 inches above the finished grade. In some parts of the yard which have been re-graded, the finish grade is actually above the block foundation and against the siding of the garage. My...

What size of foundation for a 10 foot block wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building a 10 ft block wall around my house, my foundation will be concrete,what should! The size be,Im thinking 2ftx2ft is that too much or to little wall will be 90ft x45 ft rectangle?

Possible water in cinder block foundation wall [ 12 Answers ]

We bought a house that has a sump pump system in the crawlspace. When I checked it, it looked like it wasn't done correctly. There's a 4" to 6" trench in the whole perimeter, of the crawlspace, and efflorescence present about 6" above the dirt level. Parts of the drain pipes were exposed and I...

Shifting cinder block foundation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We recently purchased a cottage and it sits on cinderblocks to keep if off the ground. The cinders are tilted toward the waterfront and need to be realigned. Is there an easy way to do this ourselves or is this a professional fix. Who fixes this type of thing and how much would something...

Re parging block foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hope you can help me I have a painted block foundation that is parged and needs some repair after I remove the loose paint and parge will I be able to reparge over some of the area that still has paint on it and what should I do to prepare the surface to accept the new parge

View more questions Search