Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angelic95 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2017, 08:37 AM
    Why does my boyfriend have to pay the IRS when...
    Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
    It concerns me that my boyfriend owes 12k to the IRS when he was a minor. His mother had control of his Social Security money. She says that they garnish her wages but she is known to lie n steal money, and that the world revolves around her. It was his money but she had control of it. I don't know all the documentation. I also don't know when he received this fund and when it ended but I am trying to find it out. It concerns me that this is happening, she has already used him all his life. Now she is saying that they are putting a 10k interest to it. I am thinking why didn't they just add the interest to the bill already, and the 12k is nearly paid off. So! Is this fishy what she is saying or am I just paranoid?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 2, 2017, 08:58 AM
    she is known to lie n steal money,
    You don't have to overthink this, just don't believe her and get the FACTS from a better more credible source. Is your boyfriend your source? Maybe the apple doesn't fall far enough away from the tree to be believable either. Without documentation it's hearsay!

Has he shown you any? Then take what either of them says with a grain of salt, as much as needed, and watch your own arse (OR finances)!

Trust but verify ring a bell?
    Angelic95 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2017, 10:41 AM
    He has gotten bills after them taking taxes out and he had 500 some left.. now she saying there is interest. I told him he needs to be careful. She just told me this last night but hasn't told him. I think she is up to something.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 2, 2017, 10:57 AM
    It never was his money. It was for his care, payable to the person or persons who supported him (supposedly extra needed expenses because of a disability).

So much money is given for kids with ADHD and such that it's the main reason that Social Security is going broke. It's just the SSD part, SS Disability. He never paid a dime into the fund, which is what the fund was originally for. WORKING PEOPLE who got disabled.

If huge interest and penalties are being added, she has to either hire a lawyer or contact the IRS and see if she can get them taken off. She had to have been collecting illegally to have money due back. It's her problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2017, 01:04 PM
    The main problem here is that you don't know anything concrete. You are going by what your boyfriend and his mother have told you.

A minor child doesn't have "Social Security money". A minor child may have been receiving SS benefits either as survivor benefits from his father or disability benefits for himself. In either case, that money would go to his legal guardian for his care.

If the IRS is trying to get some of this money back its probably because there was fraud involved.

So you need to find out the exact facts here. You need to find out why he was receiving SS benefits and why the IRS is getting money from him.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 2, 2017, 01:36 PM
    You can guess all you want but without supporting IRS documentation it is useless to question what may or may not have happened. It was his money but she had control of it.
    How does HE have SS money as you reported, particularly as a minor .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2017, 06:03 PM
    You boyfriend, if he is not an adult, can just request a complete history of all of his taxes and what is the issue. He can even and may want to, ask for a sit down with a IRS agent to discuss what has happened.

He can also request a history of all Social Security payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know the percentage of tax I would pay for IRS [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Am currently on OPT and just started working in Arizona. Currently federal and state taxes are not withheld from my pay checks. My gross salary is $60,000 per annum. I heard I can pay those taxes to IRS either quarterly or yearly when I file my tax returns. I would like to know how much...

Can IRS take back pay from SSI? [ 1 Answers ]

If you have a tax lien will or can IRS take back pay etc or stop your ssi

Can I use 401K to pay the IRS? [ 3 Answers ]

If I have a loan on my 401k and I owe the IRS 50,000.00 can I still have them take it out of what's in my 401k?

IRS will not pay my Tax Refund Owing to me [ 5 Answers ]

Good Day. I filed taxes back in February Electronicall... and was told it had already been done. Spoke to the IRS, who told us to Send in the Paperwork, we did. Then they told us that the SS was filed by someone else. At the time we filed a Police Report / Identify Theft and also informed...

Hardship withdrawal to pay IRS taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get a hardship withdrawal from fidelity to pay back Federal Taxes?

View more questions Search