Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vikram_gupta11 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2017, 06:44 AM
    Velocity transfer
    Two 100 kilogram balls are mounted on a seesaw and this seesaw is in balanced position .Now I want to know that how much force I should apply on the right side arm of this balanced seesaw so that the left side 100 kilogram weight ball could jump in the air up to 5 centimeter.

This question is regarding a project and it is not a homework related.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 30, 2017, 08:41 AM
    I assume what you mean is you want the 100 Kg ball on the left to fly up off the seesaw when the right side hits the ground and stops - correct? You'll need to tell us the travel distance over which the force on the right side operates - in other words how far does the right side travel from the startng equilibrium point before hitting the ground?

Apr 30, 2017, 11:16 AM
    The travel distance of right side will be 10 centimeter from the ground.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2017, 11:50 AM
    You will need about 1000 N force applied downward on the right hand side of the seesaw.

Apr 30, 2017, 12:15 PM
    Dear sir,can you please provide me some equations and formulas regarding your reply.
    Expert

May 1, 2017, 05:33 AM
    Use energy principles:

1. The velocity you want at the instant the seesaw stops is v^2 = 2gh, where h = 0.05 meters (the height the 100 Kg mass needs to rise above the stopping point).

2. The work put into the system is F times d, where F is the applied force and d is the distance the force is applied over, which is 0.1m.

3. Conservation of energy:
    Change in kinetic energy of the two masses + change in potential energy of the two masses = work applied.

Can you take it from here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Velocity (help) [ 1 Answers ]

1. Sue and Grace are riding on a yacht traveling west at 9.0 m/s. Grace rolls a marble with a velocity of 0.85 m/s north, straight across the deck of the boat to Sue. What is the velocity of the marble relative to the water?

How do you find average velocity from a velocity time graph? [ 1 Answers ]

So if you we're to be given a graph with the slope, how do you find the average velocity from it? Also, what is velocity at halftime? Thanks!

Can we transfer 40K from Brazil.. via wire transfer? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife's sister in Brazil needs to send her portion of a property that was sold... can she wire transfer the amount of $40K to her American Bank account... are there anything or conditions that we need to know?

Velocity [ 11 Answers ]

A 1.6 m tall girl throws a football at an angle of 41 degrees from the horizontal and at an initial velocity of 9.40 m/s. How far away from the girl will it land? Choices are: 4.55 m 5.90 m 8.90 m 10.5 m

Another H1B transfer while one transfer is pending [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had a H1B visa from company A . Recently, I joined company B and my H1B visa transfer is still in process. I do have the receipt for that. . My question is. I got an offer from company C. Can my VISA be transferred to company C... I have I-797 and 3 months old pay stub from company...

View more questions Search