Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikizam Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2017, 04:15 PM
    Is it a hippa violation if an employee contacts dads girlfriend asking her to call
    Is it a hippa violation if an employee knows a baby's dad and contacts the girlfriend to have him call our office about his daughter's dental appointment. We do not have any of his phone numbers on file. THe employee knew he was dad and she was girlfried.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 04:26 PM
    It's HIPAA, btw. How has the dental office contacted him in the past? If so, how? What about contacting the mom?

Apr 26, 2017, 04:55 PM
    Mom wasn't able to be contacted, multiple phone calls were made and messages left. The employee knew the child's father's girlfriend.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 05:25 PM
    Yes, that would be a HIPAA violation. Contact is only to be made with the responsible party in the child's records.

Apr 27, 2017, 08:10 AM
    Ok, thank you. I'm very new with HIPPA. What can happen to the company and employee?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2017, 09:21 AM
    The person wrongly contacted would have to file a formal complaint with HIPAA.
    A decision would be made in about 2 years, last time I heard.
    They give higher priority to large cases involving entire companies, hospitals, schools, etc.
    The offender (the dental practice) could be reprimanded, fined, or have their license to practice taken away, either for a time or permanently.
    The employee just has to deal with the employer.
    There are no monetary awards. If someone wants one, they have to sue in civil court, separately.

(BTW, unless this is debt collection rather than an appointment, why in the world is the attempt at contact so desperate?)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 27, 2017, 09:48 AM
    Here is the whole overview of the law, as well as the procedure to file a complaint. If there is a breach it has to be reviewed and a determination rendered by the proper authority

HIPAA Definition of Breach

I don't think calling about an appointment is a breach, but nonetheless a complaint would have to be filed by an injured party, or authority to really know for sure.
    current pert

Apr 27, 2017, 11:14 AM
    It is a breach, from the sounds of this. Father of child lives with another woman than the mother of the child. She may not even know he's a father.
    Decades before HIPAA and the internet, I worked for a famous insurance company who did background checks on certain applicants, and some investigator would inevitably knock on a door, talk to a new wife, and let drop info about a previous wife... yes, they got sued.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 27, 2017, 01:56 PM
    Like the article says there are different levels of breaches so they have to go through the process. For all I know this is a small town where everybody knows everybody's business. Doesn't make it right, but much depends on what information was shared.

Wonder if OP is the baby mama?
    current pert

Apr 27, 2017, 01:58 PM
    I think she's the office person.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 27, 2017, 03:26 PM
    To contact anyone other than the parent listed in the contacts of record, is, in fact, a HIPAA violation. Pediatrics is a little more strict in that there may be custody issues involved.

My daughter manages a pediatric dental office, so I ran this question by her. She said they are required to contact only the parent or guardian of record. Contacting anyone other is a violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dads girlfriend is ruining me and my dads relationship [ 20 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced since I can remember; I was about 3 at the time. Mum dated a few times but now she has a boyfriend who I get along with. He has his boundaries and would never come between me and my mother's relationship. But my dad's girlfriend is another story. They have been...

Who can you call questions about hippa violation [ 1 Answers ]

Hospital called my ex-husaband of 5 years and told him about that I had ER visit and when I had it. They said he was on file as husband. Can I sue or file formal complaint?

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is it a hippa violation if a patient is also your employee? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a Hippa violation if a patient becomes an employee of the clinic where she is being treated or volunteers at the clinic??

Employee HIPPA violation [ 7 Answers ]

We have a good employee that did commit a HIPPA violation. Does the law state that we must fire her once we were made aware of the violation from the patient? If yes, how soon after we are made aware? Can we take other disciplinary actions other than firing since this is the first issue we have...

View more questions Search