Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsc123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2017, 09:30 AM
    Verbal family loan
    My father loaned money to me out of his home equity account (Verbal Agreement). I made payments every month for +/- a year per our verbal agreement. Upon his death (he died in February) he stated that he preferred/wished for it to be paid from his wife's portion of the life insurance.
    The equity line is in his name and against their (Deceased & Wife) home.

The wife is now saying I owe even though I have told her the arrangement. I am also the Executor and Durable Power of Attorney for Finance.

Please advise.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 24, 2017, 10:56 AM
    "Upon his death (he died in February) he stated that he preferred/wished for it to be paid from his wife's portion of the life insurance."

I don't think that's enforceable. If the wife is a named beneficiary of a life insurance policy that trumps whatever your father may have expressed as a wish, whether he expressed it verbally or in writing. What he should have done is made you the beneficiary of the life insurance prior to his death.

At this point it appears that you owe the estate a certain amount of money. If you are inheriting other property from your father you could pay your loan back to the estate by deducting the value of the outstanding loan from what you would otherwise inherit. Be very careful with the accounting of this - as the executor you have a fiduciary responsibility to do what's best to preserve the value of the estate and distribute proceeds to heirs in accordance with his will. But as noted above - if there are named beneficiaries on accounts or insurance policies it does not matter what the will says.

Also, you should be aware that as of your father's date of death your Power of Attorney is no longer in effect.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2017, 05:41 PM
    Sorry no, he can not verbally give his wife's insurance money to pay anything, he would have had to do that in writing with the insurance company. The insurance will pay the wife and that money is hers to do what she wants.

You owe the money and will need to pay it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2017, 07:39 AM
    Verbal agreements to you take a backseat to any written, legally binding documents. Insurances generally are very specific as to the beneficiary(s), so unless the estate is the beneficiary, it's out of your influence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my family legally evict me with a less then 30 day verbal notice? [ 3 Answers ]

My family allowed me to move back in with them in January of 2010 after being out of the military since October 2010 well I've only worked two jobs since I have been out and it hasn't been easy finding work well they feel like I'm freeloading and told me I have till the end of January to find a new...

Family feued over house verbal agreement gone wrong [ 1 Answers ]

Family feued over house The situation is 4 years ago my father inlaw asked myself and my wife to move into a house. The deal was he and his wife would put the deposit and complete building the home we would pay the mortgage and the mortgage would be put in our name within 3 years after we moved...

I made a Verbal Agreement for borrowed money then they add interest to the loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I borrowed some money to help me out of a bind. I have paid off some of the loan but than he has added interest to it. He did not state that at the time of the loan that I would have to pay interest on top of the $5,000 borrowed. What is binding and fair. Let me know this was my Ex...

Verbal Car Loan - Seattle WA [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter loaned her boyfriend 5000.00 to purchase a car. They entered into a verbal agreement to pay back the loan. He broke up with her a week after (something I told her he would do:mad:) and now doesn't want to pay the loan. While she's stuck with the $5000 loan from the credit union for his...

Loan Verbal Agreement [ 6 Answers ]

I got a loan for a so called friend/ex roommate for about $2,000 under my name because she didn't have the credit. It was a verbal agreement and nothing in writing. This loan comes/use to out of my account monthly and she would pay me cash on time and/or until she got money to pay it all of or her...

View more questions Search