Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shifftali Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2017, 02:46 PM
    How can I extract data from an iMac desktop internal hard drive onto my windows PC?
    I have an internal hard drive from an old iMac desktop (2008?) that id like to get the data from. I also have a SATA reader but when I plug it into my windows toshiba laptop - nothing happens. Can it be because I need special software when windows is trying to read a mac? If yes, shouldn't the actual hard drive still start to whirl up and I should be able to hear the hard drive humming (even though the computer wouldn't be able to read the data without the correct software - so does this mean that the hard drive is dead? Help please !
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 12, 2017, 08:01 PM
    Apple computers natively use a different file system than Windows computers. Your drive is likely formatted with the HFS+ file system or a variant, although it could be formatted with another file system. Windows does not contain built-in support for reading HFS+ formatted volumes (partitions). See Additional Reading below for software solutions.

If you have a USB SATA reader (or connect it directly to a SATA port), the drive should show up in Windows Disk Management if working. A direct power connection to the drive will be needed if the USB reader does not provide power or the power is insufficient. Disk Management is used to assign drive letters to any partitions/volumes detected on the drive. If the drive does not show up with the reader, try connecting it directly to a SATA port. Drives usually make some noise at startup, or vibrate, becoming warmer after a while.

If you have access to another Mac, it may be simpler to connect the drive to that and copy the data to another external drive or USB stick formatted with FAT32 or exFAT, or to a network share.

Additional Reading:
    How-To Geek: How to read a Mac formatted drive on a Windows PC
    Wikipedia: HFS+ File System
    Lifewire: How to open disk management
    Shifftali Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2017, 06:16 PM
    Thank you, this worked!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I extract data off my desktop IMAC Hard Drive EMC No. 2118? [ 6 Answers ]

I removed my IMAC (EMC No. 2118) (late 2007 or 2008?) hard drive after my power supply died and I didn't want to spend the money to replace it as the computer was already around ten years old. I have a SATA external drive reader (that I bought a while back to extract the data from an old lap top...

Internal Hard Drive not Showing Up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I installed a new Western Digital internal hard drive using SataII cable. When I turn on my computer, it automatically install the new hard drive. The new disk also show up on Device Manager. However, when I open My computer, the new hard drive isn't there, only my old hard drive. When I check...

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

Internal hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know if I can use a sata hard drive in my PC since I have a gateway I got in 2002, would that cause any issues?

View more questions Search