Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hiwatari_yuki Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2017, 01:00 PM
    How does a thermocouple work?
    My book says: the thermocouple is based on the fact that any two metals in contact generate a tiny voltage, in order to measure this voltage the metals need to form a circuit which means that there must be two junctions. If the junctions are at the same temperature there will be no voltage because the two voltage will cancel out.
    So my question is: what is meant by junctions? and why is the voltage canceled out if the temperatures of the two junctions are same?
    Thanks in advance
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2017, 05:57 PM
    There is no simple answer to your question. Three scientists, Seebeck, Peltier and Thomson, made this discovery. It is call electromotive force (EMF) at the junction formed between two dissimilar metals. When heated at one end a small current is generated. When there is no heat there is no current, cancelled out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I keep having to replace the thermocouple [ 1 Answers ]

The valve worked great for 5 or maybe 10 years and then toward the last couple months of last years heating season I had to replace the thermocouple 4 times.

May have a bad thermocouple [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater. After I release after about 30 sexonds or so I turn it to the ON position. Well after about a min the burner goes out

Thermocouple removal [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove the thermocouple from a Coleman 7900 seris Presidential furnace? The pilot stays lit only as long as I have the button depressed.

Thermocouple replacement. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Lennox G12 furnace, about 20 years old, still working well except for the pilot light which has its off moments when it keeps going out. These seem to be periodic in that it will stay on for quite a time then start going out again for a few days, after which it works OK again. I have had...

Burned out thermocouple [ 1 Answers ]

As I had stated in a previous question I have a few minor problems with the furnace in the fourteen years we have it. This is the most annoying one. I have replaced it at least 20 times. A service man installed one that lasted only seven days. I had the gas company install one and it lasted...

View more questions Search