Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2017, 12:20 PM
    What could have been...
    This is what AMHD should have become:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/21/uniquorn/?ncid=rss
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2017, 01:11 PM
    There are some big names answering questions on Quora -- Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, James Altucher, Jimmy Wales, an astronaut or two, and even Hillary.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 22, 2017, 03:53 PM
    The only thing I see wrong in Quora is it doesn't foster the spirit of community we had here.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2017, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The only thing I see wrong in Quora is it doesn't foster the spirit of community we had here.
    You're correct, Scott. Quora doesn't have community boards or a "lounge." The only way to get acquainted and "chat" is by PMing and then going offsite into email.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 6, 2018, 04:36 PM
    I continue to be disillusioned with AMHD.
    I love some people here, but find an admin or two heavy handed and self important. They aren't as expert as they label themselves either.

As for Quora, they email me every time someone I know joins, and encourage me to 'follow' that person.
    I think that's better community, in a way.

My latest disappointment here was the post that was closed shortly after a 22 year checked into a mental hospital.
    Not even a reason, like in the old days!
    SOOOOOOOOOooooooooo thoughtless.

What a sad slow demise. I'm guessing that Raoul just doesn't care. Don't blame him. Too much work to compete. Just rake in less and less dough, and let it die.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2018, 05:25 PM
    I gotcha Joy, when they cut off Allen Farber's post I thought that was a bit insensitive, not just to him, but the ones who took the time to care.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2018, 02:39 AM
    I agree 100% about the Allen Farber thread. Why shut it down when he needed us most? I wonder how he's doing. He hasn't started another thread and probably feels like we don't care because the thread was closed. Really heartless thing to do. It's not right when there are a group of people trying to help someone and along comes a mod and decides to shut the thread down for no reason at all. Things were going well, now bam, he's gone and dog only knows if he'll ever come back.

As for Quora, I joined, answered a few questions. I decided to post a question the other day. OMG, so frustrating. I like to give detail so I get better answers, but there's a limit on how much you're allowed to write. Also, if more info is needed there really isn't a way to keep the conversation going. You ask, someone answers, and it is what it is. AMHD is much better in my opinion, that is when trigger happy mods aren't shutting down threads that shouldn't be shut down on a dead site.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 7, 2018, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This is what AMHD should have become:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/21/uniquorn/?ncid=rss
    I already know of Quora. I get notifications. Some questions are repetitive, and at times I wonder 'who doesn't know this!'. And at times some questions are inane. I should not have opened your link, Scott, I couldn't get rid of it and got a warning from my security it was a 'high risk' to be on and close immediately.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2018, 10:54 AM
    I like to give detail so I get better answers, but there's a limit on how much you're allowed to write.
    There's an easy way to sidestep that by adding more details in a comment -- of course, after mentioning that more info can be found in a comment.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2018, 02:09 PM
    I checked it out and couldnt get in because it wanted me to register just to see it. What that really means is that the site is a farce. Also it has deep ties to Google which cuts off all competititors like they did with AMHD. It is sad when site such as AMHD have to take a back seat to corporate ideals but that is how the real world currently works.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2018, 03:36 PM
    Interesting, cdad. I've made several very good friends on Quora. I've selected topics that don't offer junky or repetitive questions.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 8, 2018, 06:39 PM
    The latest question on Quora was "How good a general was the Duke of Wellington". Now really folks, anyone can find this out but according to Quora, only an expert on British Admiralty can answer this question. If you are a complete unknown answering this question, then it just does not work. I don't see how this is better then us.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 10, 2018, 02:01 PM
    Im not sure that it is better based on what the others are saying but when you control the search engine you can drive trafic any way you choose. Being supported by google gives it a huge leg up.

We have a decent team here that is willing to answer and research the answers we are given as well as being able to admit when we are wrong or if the answer is more opinion then fact.

Ever since google changed the algorythm then AMHD has been steadily dropping off the radar so it is no surprise a google sponsered Q/A site pops to the top. The same thing is going on at Amazon and they even admit it there. Allows someone to make a profit and when it looks good just drop in and take it over. It is the dirty little secret they have been running on all the vendors.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2018, 11:58 PM
    Hey, I answered every question that I was asked. I can't help it that my answers were all wrong. I think the only one I got right was the one about vagina odor. I'm an expert on vagina odor. So, one out of 3 million is pretty damn good, I'd say.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 19, 2018, 06:42 AM
    Blaming Google for how many new users get directed to Quora? Is it a matter of 'blame?' From a response on Quora, ''Quora is actually used for backlinking. So people come here to creat backlinks so google may index them easily and make the ranking high of that site.''

I belong to or have used many Q/A sites, and have opinions about each one.
    My first impression of Quora was that it is deliberately less personal and more just questions and answers.
    I do think this is good, much as I absolutely treasure relationships I have made here.

My complaint about AMHD has always been the way some mods act.
    Some of that is the way I perceive their personalities.
    The rest is the way the site is set up for them. What bothers me the most is their ability to close a thread, especially with no reason, and no way to protest, and to whom.
    If a thread doesn't die on its own, then some minimum number of responders can suggest that it be closed, and eventually closed by someone with the power to do so.

An annoying but lesser complaint is that merging threads is consistently buggy, dropping comments, and/or done in such a way that renders the whole thread confusing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search