Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chowdary1717 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2017, 08:55 AM
    Which tax return do I need to file for federal return?
    Hi,

I came to US on 4th November 2016 on H1B (Non immigrant visa), and worked in AR state.
    1. May I know which federal tax return do I need to file (1040-EZ or 1040-NR EZ) as I am confused.
    2. As I do not have taxable income and total wages is below $6300, one CPA suggessted no need to file returns and said can you file online.
    3. I filed online and I can see 1040-EZ form
    4. May I know whether it is correct form or not. In case if it is not correct guide me how I can file amendment and within how many days do I need to file?
    5. Coming to state return I have selected Non-resident while submitting returns online and I hope that is correct?

Regards,
    V
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2017, 03:00 PM
    I would recommend that you go to a tax preparer because even American citizens who speak English as a first language and have experience with American income taxes can often benefit from using a professional service. There are many deductions that can be taken that you cannot possibly learn on your own, and also special forms and the like that you will have trouble figuring out. I just go to H&R block. Try to talk to a tax professional before your appointment and ask them what documents you need to bring with you. You are also missing the filing deadline, which is another complicating factor.

I paid $200 for them to do my taxes, which included both state and federal. Nevertheless, I did my taxes myself before I went and the difference (in my favor) of their results was over $500, so I gained $300 overall after paying for their service.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2017, 06:55 PM
    If you filed Form 1040EZ, you filed incorrectly. You have not yet met the Substantial Presence Test, so, for 2016, you should have filed as a non-resident alien, filing Forming expenses.1040NR wigth possibly Form 3903 to claim moving expenses.

You will need to amend with Form 1040X and attacking a copy of the Form 1040NR with the word "AMENDED" printed on the top of the Form 1040NR.

If you want professional help, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal MFJ, California MFS - Which Federal Return to Attach with CA Return? [ 5 Answers ]

The California instruction form says this: "Do I need to attach a copy of federal Form 1040? Other than Schedule A (Form 1040) or Schedule B (Form 1040), did you attach any federal forms or schedules to your federal Form 1040? - If No, do not attach a copy of your federal Form 1040 return to...

If you file separately on federal return, can you file joint on state return [ 2 Answers ]

We filed separate on federal return . Question is can we file joint on our state return or not >?

Income which requires you to file a federal tax return [ 1 Answers ]

What is the minimum net income which requires a self employed person to file a federal tax return

Should inmates while in federal prison file an income tax return [ 3 Answers ]

Should inmates while in federal prison file an income tax return?

Can I file my federal and CA state return online [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help me on this please... Hi, I was in US from Feb 2006 to feb 2007 on L1 visa. So for the year 2007 I was in USA from Jan 1st 2007 to Feb 5th 2007. My question is can I file my federal and state return online as my stay was just for 1 month? Somebody told me that I need to...

View more questions Search