Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2007, 09:04 AM
    How to Attach Ledger Board for Carport
    Good day,

I'm building an attached carport at my friend's house. There are four posts and a beam for one side, and an attached ledger board as the other support. This is to be attached to the side of the house.

My question: Should the siding (which is about 1/2" thick plywood) be cut out for this ledger to be attached directly to the studs? Or can the ledger be nailed onto the siding (assuming we can find the studs, which i'm not sure how to do through plywood... maybe a "fancy" studfinder?)

PS - the ledger is 2x8

Thanks for the advice,

- james
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 09:08 AM
    You should remove the siding. Also use rafter hangers when attaching rafters to the ledger board.

Apr 16, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Thanks!

I just thought of something related though.

The ledger extends in a 30" cantilever, past the end of the house. In the plans, the building department called for a support to be added to the ledger just at the end of the house... a 2x4 nailed vertically to provide extra support under it at that point.

Question: should the siding be removed for this also?

I'm thinking otherwise, it won't fully suppor the ledger.

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Apr 16, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Yep, remove the siding for the support too. It greatly increases the shear strenghth of your nails.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 16, 2007, 04:04 PM
    It really depends on the local rules that your building department uses. Here in California, We generally use 1/2 X 6" Lag bolts (w/washers) and attach the ledger over the existing wall (stucco, siding, etc.) provided the studs are located (should be 16" OC across the house) or the ledger is secured into a plate and headers above windows and doors.

I'd check with your building and safety folks, though. I'm sure a permit is necessary.

Apr 17, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Yes, thanks, we do have the permit. The ledger support board mentioned above was drawn in as required by the permit review staff, which is why my question came up.

The plan review didn't mention whether the siding was to be removed. On the plans, I specified using nails instead of lag screws, so I think we'll go with that method.

Thanks again guys,

J

Apr 17, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Jamlove, I think Kstar's suggestion of 1/2 x 6 lags is a better alternative to nails. I might be overbuild but that never hurts. I think he knows what he is doing too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I attach wages from a judgment I won? [ 4 Answers ]

I won judgment in Small Claims. How do I get her wages attached, if she's working. Can I inform IRS in case she has money coming back to her? She doesn't own anything, and I need my money. I'm afraid if I don't act soon, she will get her refund, and I'll have to wait until she gets a job, or...

How to attach a dads wages for child support [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 months old and her dad and I have already done a DNA test to prove he is the father.He lives 1500 miles away from us and has no intentions on comeing down to see her and I want him to owe up to his responsibility. How do I get his wages attached so he has to start paying for his...

NJ - attach Federal 1040 Sched. B? [ 3 Answers ]

I prepared my taxes with Turbotax. When my NJ return printed, the last item that printed was a copy of my Federal 1040 Schedule B (in addition to the copy that printed with my Federal return). Am I supposed to attach a copy of the Fed Schedule B to my NJ return? I didn't see anything about that...

How to attach a picture... [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to attach a picture for my answer on the lawn and garden forum, but it says that my picture is 1.83MB and it can only fit a 293Kb or something. How can I make my picture smaller? Please help.. :(

View more questions Search