Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nothingless Posts: 51, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2017, 07:40 AM
    Police question?
    If you're a minor do your parents have the right to take you to the police station to press chargers for the minor even if theyy don't want to do it? And if they can would the inor have to say or do anything if they didn't want to?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 16, 2017, 07:54 AM
    I guess it would depend on what the minor did.

Apr 16, 2017, 08:05 AM
    The minor did nothing. Something happened to her and she's worried if she tells her parents they will make her go to the police.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 16, 2017, 08:09 AM
    Yes a parent can report something done to their minor child, with or without their cooperation.

Apr 16, 2017, 08:29 AM
    Ok that's great to know. Thanks for reply
    Expert

Apr 16, 2017, 09:31 AM
    To be clear the cops may want their questions answered if they look into whatever the situation is. I doubt they, or a parent would be happy when a minor child doesn't co operate.

If it's serious enough to report to the cops then the minor better come with the truth.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2017, 12:25 PM
    Something happened to her and she's worried if she tells her parents they will make her go to the police.

Should the police be involved in the "something" that happened to her"?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2017, 12:27 PM
    If something "happened" to you, and its criminal, you should be running to the parents to go to the police.

Hiding a crime hurts everyone
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2017, 03:25 PM
    Wonder how this bears on your other question.

Apr 16, 2017, 03:29 PM
    Its very frustrating to want to change things but not having the power to control what happens. It sux not being able to just talk to someone because I'm a minor and duty of care requirements or not knowing how my parents will react. Thanks for the replys now I know was unsure and wanted to know.

Maybe, I don't see how it would though like I said I haven't done anything wrong for them to have concerns.
    Expert

Apr 16, 2017, 03:33 PM
    When our kids don't talk to us we tend to get suspicious, so why can't you talk to your parents? What are you afraid of if you have done nothing wrong?

Apr 16, 2017, 03:44 PM
    Its not that I can't talk to my parents I can and I've thought about it a lot, tried to play out in my head how it would turn out. I've thought about many scenarios on how to change things but they all end the same way. I'm not afraid be ause I have done something wrong I'm just afraid of not knowing what will happen losing my control on how to deal with things
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2017, 07:02 PM
    Sounds like over thinking things, just do, stop thinking
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 17, 2017, 06:39 PM
    I think it's time to tell us what happened, because we're imagining all sorts of things, and we have no idea if what we're imagining is true or not. I'm imagining the worst of the worst because I've been there, on two counts. So you need to tell us what happened.

You're anonymous here, so you can tell us. We're not your parents, but most of us are parents, so tell us what happened so we can tell you how your parents are likely feeling, because from your other post, it sounds like your parents know that something is going on, but they don't know exactly what, and they love you too much to just let it go.

I am a mom, I have two teenagers. I've also been a teenager, and I had a lot happen in my teen years that I hid from my parents. I had a lot happen to me as a child that I didn't tell my parents. It was easier back then, we didn't have faceboob, or email, or twitter, or all that stuff. The only way they could have known is if I told them, and I didn't. I regret that, but like you, I thought it would be worse if I told them. I thought they would look at me differently. I thought my dad would kill the guy that hurt me and end up in jail and it would be my fault. I thought that telling them about what my cousin was doing to me at the age of 5, would ruin our family. Too many things I didn't speak out about, which I should have. Now that I have kids, I know what could happen, I know the bad things that happen, and as a parent, I also know that I can help them. As a parent that went through a lot of bad stuff alone, I can say that I honestly wish I had told my parents, no matter how hard it would have been, I wish I had.

So first I need to know, what happened? Obviously something did, and even though you haven't told your parents, they know that something is up, hence the reason for your other thread asking why they're snooping through your things. It's because they want to know what's going on so they can help you. They know something's up. So what's up? What happened?

Apr 17, 2017, 08:48 PM
    Ok so I don't want to really say too much but I will tell you a bit.

For the last 2 years I've had to stay with other family member sometimes because my parents travel a lot for work. Someone I stay with comes into my room at night and does things to me. Stuff that I don't want him too. He hurts me and I just don't want to see them anymore.

I just don't want to have to go there anymore he just gets worse and I'm afraid. I try not to think about it a lot I just keep telling myself nothing happened but its not working anymore. My parents are going away soon for a month and I'm stressed out about staying there.

I don't really want to tell them I just need to not go there and I'd be fine. I'm trying to think of ways around it. Please don't tell me I need to tell my parents because I can't I've thought about all of this lots it never ends well.

I don't want them to worry about me and I can't think of anything I'm doing to make them have concerns about me. They are stressing me out the way they are acting looking through my things asking lots of questions. I don't know how they want me to be or what I'm doing wrong.

Apr 17, 2017, 09:05 PM
    Why do you wish you had told your parents? I think if I told them it would just be a mess a big big mess that I caused.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 17, 2017, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingless View Post
    Why do you wish you had told your parents? I think if I told them it would just be a mess a big big mess that I caused.
    Why would it cause a mess? Because he's a relative? Uncle? Cousin?
    Expert

Apr 17, 2017, 09:28 PM
    You didn't cause this mess, someone else did, and they need to answer for it. Talk to your mom.

Apr 17, 2017, 10:17 PM
    Because it would . Hi mum guess what my uncle your brother has been doing to me for the last two years, not going to happen, because it will just be a mess because of me. I thought maybe I could tell them just so I don't have to go there but I can't. Please just delet my post I don't want to talk about it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 18, 2017, 02:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingless View Post
    because it will just be a mess because of me.
    You need to get that idea out of your head immediately! This is NOT because of you, its because of HIM! He is abusing you, which means he is sick and he NEEDS to be stopped.

It might help to know how old you are. It would also help to know whether he lives alone or you are staying with his family.

If you don't want to tell your parents (and I would urge that you do), then the next time he comes into your room tell him to GET OUT. Tell him if he doesn't you will scream!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about police call [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 25 (live at home), a few weeks ago I got into a fight w/ my dad (verbal) he called the cops. I ran out of the house and was afraid to come back because the police we're there. After me and dad calmed down, I came back home (not arrested)... my dad said that the cops changed whatever the...

2008 question about police check [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I've been browsing around many different questions on this website and came across yours when you asked about a police check on your criminal records. I'm also in a similar situation to you, and was wondering if you could tell me the outcome of the police check. Did it ever end up showing...

Police Harassment and how to sue the police department in East Dublin, GA 31027? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my friend have been harassed by the East Dublin Police for years. I was arrested in 2007 for a day and then I was release. I had a case where a young man stole from my Bank account and the police and the judge did not put this young man in prison. The young man is a hacker of the internet....

Letter to police for police report to insurance for my claims [ 2 Answers ]

I had an accident with my car while I was driving from my house to work. The other Driver admit his fault and we call the police to take the normal proceduer.After going through everything have now been ask by the police to write a letter to him asking a police report which I will used to ask for...

Why AsianMassage parlos near POlice station and police doesn't stop them? [ 2 Answers ]

I mean the ones where they provide sexual services. There is one right there close to sheriff station. They have a sign ssaying "MASSAGE" and it's easy to go there. But then I though police went after these kind of businesses. I even saw it on TV. I went insde just to investigate and I talked...

View more questions Search