Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 18, 2017, 03:01 AM
    We can't delete it. There's no need to anyway; no one knows who you are.
    You can tell your parents. It's very sad that you think you would be causing trouble. Your uncle is the one who caused trouble!
    You have 'victim' thinking right now. That's understandable for a minor, but that's why we are here.
    Please believe us that telling your parents is the best thing to do.
    Plan how you will say it. Plan when you will say it. Maybe after dinner. Your parents might get all upset, not because of YOU, but because they will feel guilty about not being good parents! So let them cry and shout and get it all out. It will be tough on all of you.
    Then it will be solved - by them. Whatever they do, you won't have to go there anymore.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 08:23 AM
    And if this uncle is doing this to you, he very likely has done the same thing in the past to other girls, maybe your cousins. And he may be doing it now to someone besides you. And will do it in the future.

It's your mother's brother. We all know she doesn't want to think her brother is capable of sexual abuse. You MUST tell your parents so he will be stopped from hurting you and other young girls!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And if this uncle is doing this to you, he very likely has done the same thing in the past to other girls, maybe your cousins. And he may be doing it now to someone besides you. And will do it in the future.

It's your mother's brother. We all know she doesn't want to think her brother is capable of sexual abuse. You MUST tell your parents so he will be stopped from hurting you and other young girls!
    True words!

Maybe this difficult decision is the hardest you have ever made in your young life, but telling your parents is the right thing to do, because you don't have the luxury of NOT telling them. It's that important no matter how messy things may get.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 09:09 AM
    You need to tell your parents. They are suspecting something is wrong, and it is. Your uncle had probably done thos before and needs to be held accountable. Talk to your parents. This is something they would want to know.

You need to tell your parents. They are suspecting something is wrong, and it is. Your uncle had probably done this before and needs to be held accountable. Talk to your parents. This is something they would want to know.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 09:16 AM
    I don't want to alarm you, but I want you to protect yourself.

I think you need to tell your parents as soon as possible. Be open with them and upfront. Ask them to take you to the police or go on your own.

Here is the reason for my advice. I think this issue is tied to the one of your parents searching your room and phone and their behavior change. I believe that you haven't done anything to cause their behavior. However, I have a bad feeling that they are gone so much and rely on the Uncle for updates on what you are doing. He may be taking advantage of their trust in him and telling them stories to cover his own tracks. If he is telling them that he thinks you may be doing things they wouldn't approve of such as sexting, sneaking around, doing drugs, etc., it makes you look like a wild child who shouldn't be believed if you do tell them the truth. I think if your parents are given the truth about what you are actually going through that they will see through any false tracks he may be trying to lay.

Part of the reason for insisting on going to the police is to show that you are innocent of anything he might accuse you of doing.

You shouldn't be protecting your parents. They should be protecting you.

If you don't trust your parents to believe you, go to an adult you do trust. It won't be easy and things may seem worse for awhile, but it should be the beginning of things getting better.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 10:23 AM
    By now you should be noticing that EVERYONE responds to your questions the same way... tell someone the truth about what's really going on with you.
    Nothingless Posts: 51, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2017, 10:59 AM
    It's not that easy "tell your parents" how do I do that? You have no idea!

I don't even care about him or what's happened I don't want anyone to know. My question should have been how do I convince my parents to let me stay with a friend instead of aunt & uncle?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingless View Post
    It's not that easy "tell your parents" how do I do that? You have no idea!

I don't even care about him or what's happened I don't want anyone to know. My question should have been how do I convince my parents to let me stay with a friend instead of aunt & uncle?
    How long are your parents usually gone? Does the abuse happen at night or when your aunt is away from the house?

Would your parents force you to go there if you refuse?

Please talk about this with an adult you trust. Is there such a person in your life?

Apr 18, 2017, 03:22 PM
    My parents are usually gone for a week.

I'm not sure what would happen if I refused to go there. I thought about that but I think it will just cause them to ask to many questions.

Look I know you all think I should tell someone but I can't do that . I feel very guilty for not saying anything because I don't want it to happen to anyonre else but that's not my fault if it was not my family it would be easier. He's my mum's brother.

I'm just going to talk to him maybe, tsll him if does it again I will tell my mum or I was thinking to ask them to let me stay home by myself I'm nearly 15 so my parents might let me. Do you think they would consider it or will they think I'm to young? I don't know I will figure it out
    current pert

Apr 18, 2017, 03:55 PM
    Talk to your mother alone.
    You aren't understanding what could happen if you don't.
    DO NOT TALK TO HIM! He's too clever (like most child molesters) and thinks of all the ways to turn this against you.

"Mom, I need to talk to you. It's something serious and important and I'm afraid to tell you."
    What is it?
    "Uncle R. has been sneaking into my room for the past two years and doing things to me. He scares me into not telling. I have to tell."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingless View Post
    I don't want it to happen to anyonre else but that's not my fault
    Actually, yes it is your fault if he does this to other young girls. PLUS, your parents' job is to protect you from predators.

Years ago, I had an Uncle Elmer, my father's uncle. I saw him when we visited him and his wife, my aunt, every July. At one visit, I was around 11 or 12. He started kissing me on the mouth with his mouth open, giving me very wet kisses. Before long, he would stick his tongue into my mouth when he kissed me. I did not want Uncle Elmer to be anywhere near me and avoided him whenever I could, but he always found a way to get near me. Finally I told my mother about his kisses. At first, she didn't believe me, but she became more watchful and realized what was going on and then kept Uncle and me apart. And this saved my younger sister from those awful kisses, too.

You situation is much worse. Tell your father like I told my mother who was related to the uncle only by marriage. The emotional connection isn't there between your dad and your uncle.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 04:11 PM
    Does he live alone? Is there an aunt? Cousins? This is a serious subject I know, but till you are so vague on important details.

You cannot be serious about you, a 14 almost 15 year old, dealing with a sexual predator on your own, relative or not. Even worse, no way would they let you stay with a friend, or alone on your own, without a really damn good reason, just no way.

You are running out of options. I think Cat is right, he has been screwing up your reputation, and credibility with your parents behind your back to protect himself all along, so no way you make him stop by yourself.

Apr 18, 2017, 04:41 PM
    My uncle lives with his wife they have no children. My aunt is a personal support worker ( aged care). She works the afternoon shift she is home by 12 at night. He mostly comes when my aunty is working but sometimes when she is home but really early in morning. He never does anything while I'm awake only when I go to bed I wake up and he's there. I try to stay awake for as long as I can most of the time I make it until my aunt gets home.

I really don't think its very fair to say it would be my fault if he did it to someone else. It makes me cry thinking about that. I can't control what he does!

I can look after myself 15 is not that young I can deal with this like I said I just need to find a way to not have to stay there. I can
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 04:50 PM
    Then it's okay with you that he does this to other girls? That's what will happen if you don't stop him now.

My Uncle Elmer ended up in a wheelchair in a nursing home. The staff told us that he often tried to grab the female staffs' butts and tried to kiss them on the mouth. They quickly learned to avoid him unless absolutely necessary for his care. And it was usually the male aides who helped him with personal activities.

I agree with the person who told you to scream and shout loudly if he approaches your bed in the early morning.

Apr 18, 2017, 05:20 PM
    No it's not okay with me if he does it to other girls. That's not a nice thing to say it's not how I feel at all. You have no idea how I feel. I don't want him to do anything to me or anyone else.

I need to think about what to do it's not as simple as you think. All this is just making everything more complicated for me.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2017, 05:45 PM
    You may not think its nice at the moment, but think about it.. he has almost certainly done this with others and THEY remained quiet so nothing was ever said or done... and as a result he is doing this to you now. Often the right thing to do is not the easy thing to do. This is one of those times. Talk to your mom. You will both be glad you did in the long run.

It's not your fault he is doing this to you now, Its his fault and their fault for remaining quiet. If you remain quiet then you helped create the situation where he can continue to do this to someone else in the future.

I would talk to your mother as soon as possible. Don't wait until the day they need to take you there, this allows them to find someone else before then. It would likely be easier to talk to her alone...but if you are much closer to your father...then you could talk with him instead. But I do recommend you talking to one of them. It should be easier than talking to both of them at the same time. Its far worse to allow him to continue to do this to you, and I would think...far harder to do than talking to those who care most about you.
    current pert

Apr 18, 2017, 05:57 PM
    I happen to not think it's fair to tell you that you have to tell because otherwise it's your fault if he does it to others.

I wonder if you already are afraid that your parents will blame you. Some of them do, because they can't face the fact that maybe they weren't the best parents, just by being related to your uncle, and not know what was going on.
    OR, what is even more common, is that you already blame yourself for what he got you to believe, or you believe it anyway - that you 'allowed' it so you are guilty.
    NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!!!
    You grew up being taught to respect your elders. You didn't really know what was going on, and even when you did, it just wasn't clear what you were supposed to do. Yell and get your parents in trouble, your uncle in trouble, everyone in trouble, including yourself?
    It is a story told around the world, Nothingless, with variations, but always the same story.
    YOU did nothing wrong. You didn't entice. You didn't encourage. You'd be wrong if you ran out of the room, you'd be wrong if you shut up. NOTHING about it is easy, nothing makes sense.
    Please tell and get it out in the open, for YOUR sake. And your parents, who know something is going on, they just don't know what!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 18, 2017, 06:01 PM
    I know what you're going through. I won't get into details but I too was molested by a family member, from the time I was 5 until I was in my double digits. I won't give you crap about telling your parents, I never found the courage to tell mine. They died never knowing what happened to me.

I was also raped as a teen, by a friend of a friend. I never told them that either.

I will tell you that it really messed with my life, and I've had a lot of therapy to help me deal with what happened to me.

You haven't told them, but they know something's up, that's why they're snooping. As parents we know when something is going on with our kids.

How old are you? Are you old enough to stay home alone for the week? If you're 16 or older, and a responsible kid, then pitch that idea to them.

If you're not ready to talk to them about this, at least tell them that you have some stuff going on, that you need to talk to someone about it, and ask them to get you into therapy. A therapist cannot tell your parents anything you've told them, they legally can't. So talk this through with a therapist, tell him/her what's gong on, tell them how afraid you are to tell your parents, work through it all with the therapist.

Right now the most worrisome thing is you going back to that house, with that Uncle. That's why everyone is pushing you to tell your parents, because telling them would instantly put a stop to this. But, I do get why you're hesitating. Really I do. I also know that now that I'm a parent, if my child was going through something like this, I'd want to know. I can't fix it if I don't know about it. They know something's up, you've changed because of this, of course you have, and they're worried. I get why you're worried too. I really do.

I'm not a therapist. I wish I could talk you through this, hold your hand while you're dealing with this, help you tell your parents, but I can't. Sadly the ball is in your court, and only you can decide what to do. But please, read my advice and consider it. Also, if you need to talk, I'm here. I won't make you feel guilty about not telling them, because I really do get it. I also get that telling them is the best thing you can do for yourself, and you are the only one I'm worried about.

For everyone telling her that if this guy does it to someone else, it's her fault, shut up! I mean really, just leave the thread and go answer a plumbing question, because you have no business being on this thread at all if that's the advice you're going to give.

It's really really easy to say that when you've never been molested or raped. Really really easy to say that she should tell and prosecute. Really so very easy to give that advice when you've never been in the boat she's in.

So do her a favor and go give advice elsewhere.

Not trying to be mean, just standing up for this girl, because she's me, and I know what I needed, and what she needs right now, and being made to feel guilty about something that's not her fault, is not what she needs right now. So back off!!

Apr 18, 2017, 07:16 PM
    If it was your child would you want to know even if it was your own brother? Really how would it make you feel? Would you believe them? Would you hate them or blame them? Would you be okay?

I asked my parents if I could stay home but they said no I'm to young and they feel like I've been hiding stuff. They won't even let me stay at my friends house because they don't want to burden my friends family. It was a stupid idea we just ended up arguing now my mum won't leave me alone she wants me to talk to her.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2017, 07:25 PM
    This is one of those things that YES... its better to know than find out later they have been doing it their entire life but nobody ever said anything.

If you allow this abuse to continue, its going to affect you, your youth, and affect you into adulthood. Some people it will affect more than others. Don't do that to yourself. You do have the power to stop this by talking to her.

Its worse keeping what your uncle does a secret from your parents because you are protecting your uncle... while hurting yourself and your parents (and everyone else he may do this to...and has done it to). Please talk to your mother.

I know you don't intend to protect him....but not talking to your parents about that he has done and will continue to do is in fact doing that. Because only he and you know this is happening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about police call [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 25 (live at home), a few weeks ago I got into a fight w/ my dad (verbal) he called the cops. I ran out of the house and was afraid to come back because the police we're there. After me and dad calmed down, I came back home (not arrested)... my dad said that the cops changed whatever the...

2008 question about police check [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I've been browsing around many different questions on this website and came across yours when you asked about a police check on your criminal records. I'm also in a similar situation to you, and was wondering if you could tell me the outcome of the police check. Did it ever end up showing...

Police Harassment and how to sue the police department in East Dublin, GA 31027? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my friend have been harassed by the East Dublin Police for years. I was arrested in 2007 for a day and then I was release. I had a case where a young man stole from my Bank account and the police and the judge did not put this young man in prison. The young man is a hacker of the internet....

Letter to police for police report to insurance for my claims [ 2 Answers ]

I had an accident with my car while I was driving from my house to work. The other Driver admit his fault and we call the police to take the normal proceduer.After going through everything have now been ask by the police to write a letter to him asking a police report which I will used to ask for...

Why AsianMassage parlos near POlice station and police doesn't stop them? [ 2 Answers ]

I mean the ones where they provide sexual services. There is one right there close to sheriff station. They have a sign ssaying "MASSAGE" and it's easy to go there. But then I though police went after these kind of businesses. I even saw it on TV. I went insde just to investigate and I talked...

View more questions Search