Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Socalstarter Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2017, 10:54 PM
    Refinance mortgae?
    I own my house for 9 years my debt is 145... k with a 5% interest in a FHA loan. I would lile to refinance to take years to my loan no to get any money. I have an equity of more than double what I owe. Is it a good idea to refinance?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2017, 03:41 AM
    Probably not at this point. Interest rates at this point are around 4%. So you really aren't going to save much. That being said, you should shop around to see if you can find a better rate.

But if your only goal is to pay your mortgage off earlier. Then just increase your monthly payments. You can use an amortization schedule (Excel has one) and calculate how much more you need to pay per month to payoff your mortgage by the date you want. Anything you pay over the regular payment goes to reducing the principle balance. This then reduces the interest due per payment, so your loan is paid off earlier.

You can do what if games with a spreadsheet based amortization schedule to figure out how much to pay.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 12, 2017, 06:04 AM
    Shop around to see if it's even worth considering. I know a few people who refinanced their mortgages from a 30 year, to a 15 year mortgage, and were quite happy with the long term savings.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 12, 2017, 06:30 AM
    'I would lile to refinance to take years to my loan '
    What does that mean? EXTEND the years or shorten them?

If extend, and it fits your situation to do so, then do so. But only if all of the calculations look good for your needs.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2017, 09:46 AM
    Using your information and assuming a 30 year, going to 4% saves $86 per month. With that limited saving and additional refi costs, it would take you a long time just to get back to where you are now. Just pay an additional Principal only @ $50 and you will drop your time substantially.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To refinance or not to refinance. [ 5 Answers ]

So a couple years back, I had a co-signer sign with me on a vehicle loan solely for the purpose of getting approved since my credit was good but brand new. I've made all payments faithfully up to now and continue to do so, as well as send extra to the principal. I'm ready to work on building...

Can I refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Can I refinance if my house cost the most in the area

Adding name to deed, not mortgae [ 1 Answers ]

I recently married. My husband owns a house in Virginia. I want to know if my name can be added to the deed, or title and not to the mortgage

Paying mortgae when permitted from bail conditions to live at the property in the UK [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone from experience/knowledge tell me where I stand when I am restricted from entering a jointly own house on possible extended bail condition. Am I expected to continuing paying for half of the mortgage. I live in the UK

How soon Can One Refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are one month In our new single family home, In Los Angeles, CA. We are first time home buyers. We will need some additional cash to pay for repairs and upgrades. Our Loan Was for 700K and the value of our property is at 835K. We would like to know How soon can we refinance to cash...

View more questions Search