Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Apr 11, 2017, 05:34 PM
    How can I type ț (i.e. the Romanian letter t-comma) in Windows?!
    How can I type ț (i.e. the Romanian letter t-comma) in Windows?!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2017, 10:50 AM
    What you are doing is using special characters... here is a good link that steps you through it... and something you quickly forget if you don't do it often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:E...ial_characters
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Apr 12, 2017, 08:26 PM
    I just figured it out. I was able to do it for a little while using the Romanian (Programmers) keyboard, but then it seemed like it stopped working. So for the record, here's the best way to type ț and ș:

First add the Romanian (Programmers) keyboard as an option for your PC by following these menu choices:

Start> Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change keyboards... > Add... > Romanian (Programmers)

Attachment 48749

You should then see a small "EN" just to the left of your taskbar. If you click this you will see other language keyboard options you have added. If you add multiple keyboard options per language, for example Romania (Standard) as well as Romanian (Programmers), you will see a small keyboard to the right of the language code.

Attachment 48748

Choose the Romanian (Programmers) keyboard. Then hold down the right alt key and press t. You should now see the ț. Ș works the same way, with Shift added for capital letters.

There are a few things you should watch out for that will trip you up if you are not aware of them:

1. Earlier versions of Windows may not support t-comma in particular; they may support only the t-cedilla, ţ.
    2. Some fonts do not support ț and ș.
    3. The keyboard setting is application-specific, so check the taskbar language code when you switch applications to ensure that you are using the expected keyboard.
    4. Ensure you are using the right alt key to shift from t to t-comma.

To see which keys have which effects check out Microsoft's layout simulators for the Romanian (Programmers) and the Romania (Standard) keyboards, or use Start > On-Screen Keyboard.

For an awesome history of the keyboard evolution of Romanian diacritic marks check out Cristian Kit Paul's blog post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keyboard won't type letter e [ 1 Answers ]

Windows 7 keyboard and on screen keyboard will not produce the letter e. I can copy and paste e though. If I restart the computer I can type e again.

Keyboard keys type wrong letter? [ 2 Answers ]

The keyboard on my laptop suddenly started typing "t5" for "t" or "y6" for "y". Sometimes it just drops the t and y and only types 5 or 6. No other keys are doing this. Was working on a project when it just started. No food or drink nearby (so no spills). Any thoughts on it? Thank you

Caught shoplifting, sent home and said would receive letter, what type of letter? [ 5 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting and was sent home with a trespassin ticket, meaning icant enter the store for a year.. they said they would issue a letter to my mailing address? They said which is probably a fine? What happens next.. do I have to go to court? Keep in mind I am 20 (biggest mistake of my...

I want romanian visa applie by my romanian lover [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a bangladeshi citizen and I love a romanian girl.we both love each too much and we hv all think about us and now we want to get toghter, But now she is married with a romanian and now her married not working, She want to call me romania.and then she divorce and we'll marry. But she cnt...

What type of letter to write Probation Officer [ 2 Answers ]

To transfer in same state just different county. Is there anything else we can do? If job are hard to find now, can we ask for a timely to look?

View more questions Search