Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flawlessenvy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2017, 01:22 PM
    I'm not sure what to say to my counsellor?
    I went to an assessment session earlier this week to be assessed for possible counselling. They should be calling me back soon to discuss my next appointment. However during my initial session the woman asked why I felt so low most of the time and when I replied I don't know when ever she asked, she thought I just didn't want to tell her why. Although I was actually speaking the truth I really don't know why I feel sad often. She said there has to be a reason for it as nobody feels down for no reason. I really don't know why I feel this way and I want to get better but I just don't know why. Is she right, that there is a reason? If there is I cant seem to figure it out and this worries me. How should I go about this? Thanks in advance
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 9, 2017, 01:29 PM
    That's what happens in counseling -- you and the counselor will work together to figure out what's going on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 9, 2017, 02:55 PM
    As far as your counselling goes, wait and see what your assessment leads to, and just tell the truth. If you don't know, then you just don't know, but have you eliminated any medical reasons for your down feelings with your doctor before seeing this counselor? How old are you? How long have you had this feeling?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 10, 2017, 04:49 AM
    I don't like the sound of the assessment. Badgering you to tell them something when you truthfully don't know is all backwards.
    But hopefully she isn't someone trained in therapy, and you will get a good one. Someone who asks the right questions.
    Some of this is a result of higher costs and lower insurance coverage, sorry. Therapy takes time, and there just isn't enough.

I didn't know why I was depressed either. It has taken me most of my 70 years to figure it out. I saw therapists off and on, mostly off, and it started years late.
    I really only learned two things from therapy, and the rest on my own.
    The two things:
    I am responsible for my own actions.
    No one 'makes' me do, think, or feel, unless I am tied to a chair with a gun to my head. Not even a mean miserable parent who is hell bent on taking it all out on me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I tell my counsellor [ 9 Answers ]

I have depression and am currently seeing a counsellor to help. I started cutting myself last week and I don't know if I should tell my counsellor. I am living with family friends atm and they don't have any children but the man saw my cuts and told me he had a hack saw in his shed if I wanted to...

I need an online counsellor [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to have someone listen to me in private and help me solve some of my problens online?

Expenses incurred as a counsellor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife worked as a counselor in a juvenile improvement center (North County Lifeline). It is not listed in Pub 78, but they said that is a charitable org. Is there any way to get a credit/deduction for the expenses incurred as a result of this. She was not paid, but here institution is...

What qualifications do I need to be a drugs counsellor in ireland? [ 3 Answers ]

Well I've been their and done most of them and learned a lot in my experience taking them,so why not use what I learned and become a drugs counsellor But what qualifications do I need in ireland to do this? I never finished school because of drugs and other things All help would be great...

Marriage counsellor [ 6 Answers ]

A husband and wife came for counselling after 15 years of marriage. When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a passionate, painful tirade Listing every problem they had ever had in the 15 years they had been Married. She went on and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy,...

View more questions Search