Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbiswas13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2017, 01:02 AM
    Form-8854 Part-V
    My wife and I are citizens of INDIA (former US green card holders). We both moved to INDIA in May 2013 and living in INDIA continuously and paying taxes in INDIA.

We got our green cards in 2009. When we were in USA, we always paid our taxes in USA and filed income tax returns (married filing jointly) in timely manner. Even after moving to INDIA in 2013, we have been properly and regularly filing our US tax returns and FBAR and showing our global income.

· I surrendered my green card in 2015. So, I had my green card for total 7 years (including 2009 and 2015). For year 2016 I am just sending my “Residency Termination Statement” to IRS and not filing any tax return. I understand I do not have to file Form-8854.

· My wife surrendered her green card in 2016. So she had her green card for total 8 years (including 2009 and 2016). She will be filing her 2016 tax return as married filing separately (since I am non-resident in 2016). She will file Form-8854 and fill-up Part-I, Part-IV and Part-V.

O In Part-V (Balance Sheet and Income Statement):
    O 1 Cash, including bank deposits:
    What should be entered for (a) FMV, (b) US Adjusted basis ?
    Note that my wife has always been homemaker. She only has few bank
    accounts jointly with me. Whatever money we have in those accounts, we
    already paid taxes on those.
    O 16 Real property located outside the United States:
    We bought a home in INDIA in 2015. My wife jointly owns it with me.
    What should she put in (a) FMV, (b) US Adjusted basis ?

Regards,
    pbiswas13
    max12312 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2017, 11:40 AM
    What ?

Wghat/
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2017, 02:03 PM
    Look at the AGI and asset requirements in the instructions for Form 8854. Once you review that, you should come to the conclusion that Firm 8854 is NOT required.

Just have her submit the Residency Termination Statement by 30 June 2017.

If she has no earned income and only interest on her Indian bank account, it is likely that all she has to submit is one final FBAR for 2016, because her net income is LESS than her personal exemption of $4,050.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2017, 05:59 PM
    Dangerous advice to not file the 8854. This would trigger the exit tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2017, 07:16 PM
    I do not believe that to be the case. HOWEVER, my advice may have been premature.

Intl Tax's warning does prompt me to ask about the level of income the OP had. If it is below a certain threshold, the Form 8854 is NOT required. If it is above the threshold, then in fact the Form 8854 may be needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 8854 & non - LTR [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I am Green Card Holder. I got it in 2010. From 2012, I have been living outside the United States. So I don't qualify as a Long Term Resident. I am thinking of abandoning my green card. Since I am not LTR, do I have to file Form 8854? Regards Sri

Which line of section V of the 8854 form do I use [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I recently moved from US to EU after being a long term permanent resident. I have a 401k which I will not be cashing in. I have to file form 8854. Which line of section V of the 8854 form do I use to list the 401k asset. How is the cost basis (column b) figured out? Thanks

W8BEN form, do I have to fill in the part II 9a? [ 1 Answers ]

I am indian citizen and a non-resident in US, and have been asked to fill in the W8Ben by my bank on the interest bearing account. I am not sure, whether I need to 9a on the W8Ben? Also, I have another question, Do I have to fill in a W8Ben form for only the interest bearing accounts or all...

Part-Year Resident Form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm filing taxes via Turbo Tax and is now having difficulty filling out the Part -Year Resident Form. I lived in MD from 01/08 to 10/09 and then moved to PA. I'm still working in MD and started paying PA taxes 10/09. The form asks for Non-MD losses and Adjustments and Non-MD income. I've...

Form 8854 [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with IRS form 8854? This form has to be filled by US citizens or, as in my case, by residents who leave permanently US and move abroad. I have read the instructions but there are a few points that I do not get. Does anyone that fills this form for the first time have...

View more questions Search