Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kesavan Posts: 118, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2017, 06:48 AM
    Rotating disk
    R radius of circular disk with mass m with initial velocity v and an angular velocity w comes into contact with the ground as shown in the figure. Friction is not negligible, so both the velocity and angular velocity of the disk changes. What is the critical velocity (VC) when the comes to instantaneous rest (in terms of angular velocity wc and R)
    click below link for figure.

Name:  IMG_20170404_191303.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  692.4 KB
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v...w?usp=drivesdk
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 4, 2017, 08:49 AM
    We won't do homework for you. Please try your hands at this, post back with your attempt, and we'll help you if you are stuck. I suggest you start with basic equations such as and .

Apr 4, 2017, 09:24 AM
    what theory is applied when this critical position?
    Is centre of mass's resultant velocity is zero? ( Vc=Rwc​ )
    Expert

Apr 4, 2017, 09:49 AM
    Over some period of time the angular velocity slows to zero due to friction forces. While that is occurring the velocity V is also slowing, due to that same friction force. You are asked to determine the change in velocity that results from friction forces necessary to cause omega to become zero. At that instant the disc is sliding along thee surface but not rotating.

Apr 4, 2017, 05:53 PM
    Question is at critical position, at this instant linear velocity vc and angular velocity wc given in the question (not zero).
    Expert

Apr 5, 2017, 07:29 PM
    Please restate the question, precisely as it was originally posed to you. The question as first posed was: "What is the critical velocity (VC) when the comes to instantaneous rest (in terms of angular velocity wc and R)" I assume the word "disk" was left out by mistake (should be "....when the disk comes to instantaneous rest ..."). You haven't defined what "instantaneous rest" means, but given that you asked about velocity at that point it would appear that perhaps w is zero but ve is not. But from your latest post it seems the question should have been: "what is the critical position when the disk comes to instantaneous rest," which I would assume means the point when both v and w are zero. Is that correct?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

There is no disk in the driveinser a disk into drive problem? [ 0 Answers ]

I Have a rliance net conect then a massage show there is no disk in the drive please insert a disk into drive. Please show me how can I solve it.

Disk stuck in e drive. Tray opens but no disk. [ 3 Answers ]

I inserted a CD-RW to burn a copy of photos. The tray opens but there is no disk. The disk is stuck inside the drive. How can I retrieve it? Thanks, JKlopp

Boot disk error insert system disk [ 4 Answers ]

When booting computer, the screen goes blank with boot disk error. Please insert system disk

Portable hard disk disk not opening [ 7 Answers ]

I inserted my portable hard disk in the usb drive and before opening scanned it for viruses.after about half the scan the scanning got stuck at one point.at that instant all programs became non responsive. I then removed my portable disk immediately.then all programs became responsive. But when I...

View more questions Search