Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Travel2Learn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2017, 08:26 PM
    Motion in space
    I don't fully understand Newton's second law of motion, F=MA. What happens to an object in outer space when a force is applied? Does it remain at a constant speed? Or, does it continue to accelerate, thus going faster and even faster? I've reviewed several Youtube videos explaining that the object will continue forever. Yes, but at what speed? Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2017, 05:42 AM
    First, the correct formula is . Note the lower case 'm' and 'a' for mass and acceleration, respectively, and also that the left hand side is the sum of all forces acting on the object. Force and acceleration are vectors, which means they have both magnitude and direction.

To answer your question: if a constant force is applied to a mass and there are no other opposing forces it will accelerate as long as that force is applied. Because it is accelerating, it is gaining speed with every passing second. If the force is removed the object will continue at the same speed until some other force causes it to change velocity. There is one complication to this that Newton didn't comprehend, and that is that the speed of light is the universal speed limit - nothing can go faster than that. But for everyday objects moving at "reasonable" non-relativistic speeds, Newton's formula works quite well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help Responding to a Motion and preparing a motion to dismiss in Maine Family Court [ 2 Answers ]

I settled the custody case 18 months ago after 3 different cases were opened over a 5 year time frame by my ex-girlfriend involving visitation and support. The case 18 months ago was a move case where we settled allowing my ex to move my daughter from Massachusetts to Waterville, Maine (near...

CA: Filing a second motion after filing Notice of Motion & Motion for Child Sup. Mod. [ 2 Answers ]

In California Family Court, I recently filed a Notice of Motion and Motion for Simplified Modification of Order to reduce child support due to a job loss followed by a new job at much lower pay. I have a court date on February 23, 2010. Going through prior court documents from a hearing in 2008,...

Motion to set aside default, motion to set aside final judgment and motion to set ano [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'M in Florida Jacksonville, I have a small problem, I read the time wrong to appear for my small claims court trial and arrived at 11:15am but is was scheduled at 11am 9/3/09. I tried to explain but did not get anywhere, so I went downstairs to the courthouse and filed a motion to set...

Florida Law Of Civil Procedure ~ Motion To Produce - Motion For Trial [ 8 Answers ]

This lawsuit is regarding a cosigned loan originated in 1999 which we believe to have been satisfied in full. We also believe it's outside the SOL and many other things, but that's not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is current actions. On January 29, 2008 we filed two motions: 1....

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search