Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdee1313 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2017, 03:01 PM
    Basic algerba
    the sum of two numbers is 14. The total of 3 times the smaller and twice the larger is 33. Assume x is the smaller number. I need to form the equation and find the smaller and larger numbers.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2017, 03:21 PM
    What do you have so far?

Mar 29, 2017, 03:29 PM
    3x+2=33 I don't think that's even right I am drawing a blank

Mar 29, 2017, 03:43 PM
    I figured it out using 3x+28-2x=33. 5 is the smaller and 9 is the larger. The numbers are correct but its marking the equation wrong

I figured it out lol. 3x+2(14-x)=33 x=5 the larger number is 9
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2017, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdee1313
    I figured it out lol. 3x+2(14-x)=33 x=5 the larger number is 9
    Very good! However, some advice for future problem like this: when given information about two unknown quantities it is recommended that you take the time to set up the two equations that describe what's going on, then simplify. In this case we can let x = one unknown number and y = the other. From "the sum of two numbers is 14" we then get:

x+y=14.

Then from "The total of 3 times the smaller and twice the larger is 33" we get:

3x + 2y = 33

The next step is to figure a way to combine these two equations and eliminate one of the variables. Since yo are looking for the smaller of the two numbers, and we are told that is the 'x' term, we want to figure a way to susbtitue for y in one of the equations with an expression that involves x. From the first equation you can rearrange to get:

y = 15-x

Now substitute this value for 'y' into the second equation:

3x+2(14-x)=33

So now we are where you got to, but by going through these steps in a consistent way we can apply this same technique to much more complicated problems that may not be quite so easy. If you simply try to jump to the final equation without rigorously going through these steps you may introduce errors.

I would also point out that you could have started with rearranging the second equation to get it in terms of y, then substitute back into the first:

3x+2y = 33, therefore y = (33-3x)/2. Then from x+y=14 we get x +(33-3x)/2 = 14. This can be rearranged to x/2 = 5/2, and hence x=5. I wonder if your homework answer tool would accept x + (33-2x)/2=14 as a correct answer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making a basic homepage w/ basic news box? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My site I'm designing is my personal homepage. I just use a few html tags. And I use the first html that was created, not the html5. I made my index.html file so far, and its even viewable on the web by me only. I have a background image that's a scenery page. Used the beginning and...

Need someone to help with high school algerba? [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me with this problem. 5(w-2)=0

Algerba II [ 17 Answers ]

Can someone help me with my homeowrk in Algerba II.

Algerba graphing [ 1 Answers ]

How do you solve this graphing problem: Vertical through (2,6)

View more questions Search