Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mozie22 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2017, 11:04 PM
    Shuddering pipes
    Hi there. I live in a brick house and lately the pipes have started to shudder (not sure how to describe it) after the toilet is flushed. Why is it doing that all of a sudden? The house is about 12 years old...
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2017, 11:22 PM
    Does this happen only when the toilet is flushed?

And please tell us what type of toilet fill valve do you have, Thanks.

John

Mar 27, 2017, 11:42 PM
    Hi John

Yes it's only when the toilet is flushed and I'm sorry but I have no idea what a fill valve is :|
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2017, 05:58 AM
    The fill valve is device inside the toilet tank that allows water in. Does it have a metal arm with a ball or a cylinder? How many toilets? If more than 1, do you hear the noise when either flush? Could be the fill valve or the main pressure reducing valve.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2017, 11:17 AM
    Hello Mozie22,

On top of Ma0641 explanation remove the toilet tank lid look inside tell us what fill valve do you see, see the images below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 30, 2017, 07:30 AM
    Besides the fill valve, it can also be angle stop ( valve on the wall and below the toilet, connected to water supply pipe ). Close that valve all the way and Open it back. See if that helped

Back to you

Milo

Mar 30, 2017, 10:27 PM
    It looks similar to the color picture... I'll need to check if this happens with the 2nd toilet in the house and let you know. Thanks all, your help is really appreciated :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2017, 10:12 AM
    Hello Mozieee,

Do as Milo has suggested you and see what happens and let us know, Thanks.

John

Apr 4, 2017, 12:47 AM
    Ok I closed the angle stop and opened it again. When I listen closely I now think it's not the pipes shuddering, I think it may be what ma0641 said, the fill valve or the main pressure reducing valve. How do I tell which one it is?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2017, 06:29 AM
    Turn off the toilet at the stop. Then open a tub faucet. If you hear the noise, it is the PRV for the house. If you don't hear the noise, it is the toilet.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 4, 2017, 03:45 PM
    Just attended a service call with exactly the same problem description. In this case, it was failing Fill Valve. Replaced the Fill Valve, problem solved

Milo

Apr 5, 2017, 12:06 AM
    Thank you all. You've been most helpful...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water tap in shower shuddering and water sputtering [ 1 Answers ]

I've searched all the forums I can find to see if I can identify my problem and fix it but haven't had any luck so I thought I'd try posting to see if someone out there can help http://www.plbg.com/forum/mods/smileys/images/smile.gif I live in a 2 story town house and the shower is upstairs....

Low hot water with shuddering pipes in tub only [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking everywhere for my specific problem, but haven't found anything. The sink and toilet in this bathroom work perfectly. My problem is with the tub. It is a one handle faucet, and cold water pressure is fine, but if you turn it to warm or hot, there is barely any water flow, and...

Shuddering cold water tap new tap [ 1 Answers ]

My cold water tap shudders when I turn it on. This doesn't happen when the toilet cistern is filling. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Is it a washer problem, air in the pipes, could not be loose pipes. Could debris be in the pipes. Can I fix this problem by myself?

View more questions Search